The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Chessie vs lab ?

The chessies I have owned have been protective but not aggressive......big difference.

My dogs suck as watch dogs and I gave no problems with other dogs coming into their house. When my father in law and brother in law come to visit we have 3 Chessies, 2 Great Danes, 1 springer and 1 lab all in the house at the same time. My daughter starting walking my Chessies on a check cord when she was 18 months old. She is 3 years old now says I'm the doggies boss. If they are doing something they are not suppose to she goes nuts yelling at them and corrects them. It is hilarious. The do listen to her. My female sleeps in her room with her. I have had 2 different people run my Gracie in trials and test.

But one thing I notice the week before a test and trial just do obedience and singles. Don't get into a argument with them over a certain concept.

Also titling a Chessie means more to me then a lab. 10-15 Chessies a year earn their MH. 80-90 labs a year earn their FC.
    Last edited by j towne; 01-09-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    My dogs suck as watch dogs and I gave no problems with other dogs coming into their house. When my father in law and brother in law come to visit we have 3 Chessies, 2 Great Danes, 1 springer and 1 lab all in the house at the same time. My daughter starting walking my Chessies on a check cord when she was 18 months old. She is 3 years old now says I'm the doggies boss. If they are doing something they are not suppose to she goes nuts yelling at them and corrects them. It is hilarious. The do listen to her. My female sleeps in her room with her. I have had 2 different people run my Gracie in trials and test.

But one thing I notice the week before a test and trial just do obedience and singles. Don't get into a argument with them over a certain concept.
    I especially appreciate your last two sentences. My wife and I will definitely keep that in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by TimFenstermacher View Post
    I especially appreciate your last two sentences. My wife and I will definitely keep that in mind!
    I didn't train my male for 3 weeks because I was on vacation and ran him in a Q and he took 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    I didn't train my male for 3 weeks because I was on vacation and ran him in a Q and he took 3rd.
    I know they will hold a grudge if they think you deserve it, no matter how long it takes they will get even! No sense in taking any chances of a "misunderstanding" so close to an event!

Got into a big fight with my peake the week before a test once, cost me a $80 entry fee, 4hr trip, hotel, food, and one grumpy chessie. Ive learned with peakes, and any other breed of dog for that matter that when you try to correct one problem you end up creating 10 more problems. You cant get nit picky with these dogs, it is a gradual process. KEEP EM HAPPY!!

Evan is right, a good dog is a good dog but the question is: Why ride a donkey when you could ride a horse? Every dog is different and there are a few good peaks out there running AA but not enough to impress me. Everyone has their favorite breed and my opinion is that if you want style go with a lab.

An oldie but goodie:

Take a Golden to the edge of a cliff and tell it to jump. He says "okay" and jumps.

Take a Lab to the edge of a cliff and tell it to jump. He says "you sure?" You nod yes and he jumps.

Take a Chessie to the edge of a cliff and tell it to jump. He says, "okay...you go first."

They do look good in pictures when they aren't staring at you like they want to rip your face off.

I like Chessies a lot. I have seen some outstanding Chessies at Field Trials in my area. If I were to do a lot of big water hunting in the winter, the Chessie would be my choice. However I would want to be in touch with other Chessie owners to make sure I understood the unique characteristics of the breed.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."