The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Chessie vs lab ?

I guess getting a little off topic here. I have noted the personalities of hard core Chessie folks.
    Careful Jay
    Your gonna get "Jimmy the Greeked" here,,, Ha Ha (emoticon) I certainly wouldn't try to steal a frech fry off their plate,,,,, He He (emoticon)
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 01-10-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Looks like a dog that is lacking style as well!

Russell

Yes,by that statement I mean I am in awe of a trainer that can consistently train chessies to compete in major stakes ,and do it with style.

Yeah the "style" comment from WBF is freakin stupid.
    I made the mistake several years ago of thinking that I would switch to labs to make the goal of FC "easier"...hahaha what a freakin ignorant moron I was. Several years and thousands(more like tens of thousands)of dollars later I had washed several, owned one dog with some AA points, and a couple more close to Qual. And at one point didnt even have a dog I was comfortable hunting with. With my chessies I went just about as far with fewer bullets, less money, in less time.
    Here's a little secret, your odds are pretty slim either way so you might as well enjoy the hell out of the ride.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

"Firm in what you do, gentle in how you do it" best describes training a Chessie. I had one years ago, then had and still do have labs, and also a year old Chessie. He LOVES birds, hunting, MOST training (wasn't real pleased initially with the healing stick/prong collar or the begining of hold/force fetch) all water and I really think the colder it is the more he likes it. I know all dogs have a personality but my Chessie has WAY MORE personality than any dog I've ever had, the "Chessie grin" and all the weird little roo-coo noises he makes. I know I'll always have a Chessie from here on out.photo (Small).JPG He does this little head cock thing quite often when I'm talking to him, almost like he wants to talk back.

After this picture was taken a man was severely injured. Bystanders reported that the animal was walking out to get a flyer and on the way back he started picking up speed to attack the honor dog and his handler. Reporters stated that the duck was the only one that wasn't injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Morning Nick
    It looks like from that picture that the dog is also raising the sides of his lip to expose slightly the back teeth. Can you see the curve of the side of his lip? Hard to tell from the picture. So it just might be a submissive grin,,,can't tell for sure. Great pick though. Love the red eyes.
    Pete
    I'm guessing Nick was having some fun with a Chessie smile. It's extremely common in the breed and it's exactly as you described...a submissive grin. I travel a lot for work and mine does it anytime he greets me when I return.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. View Post
    ..... mine does it anytime he greets me when I return.

yup, and Scooby when if I ask him if I have any cookies in my pocket. 'cause he knows

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

And the never ending debate continues...........lol

I kinda like some of the reputation that Chessies have. It's like having a secret, knowing that they really aren't that way at all. I would put alot of stock in the opinions of the folks who have both Labs and Chessies as they are in the best position to see the differences on a day to day basis and over a long period of time. I especially appreciate their comments to the thread.

It goes without saying that if someone does all the homework, and I mean thoroughly, and they still have any doubts about a Chessie, then they probably shouldn't get one, IMO.

Jay, I think you are on to something. Chessie owners are a little like Chessies; ie. "just a little bit different" Watch Out for them