The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Chessie vs lab ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
    I have almost stuck with Chocolate Labs for the last thirty years, but when Alan Sanderfer won the Qual at Demopolis and "Fatty" came in season right after that we agreed to help him get her bred. She is due to whelp around the 20th of Jan. and has been in our house ever since she was bred at Greene, Lewis & Associates. She airs with our other house dogs (except with Lillie, Cleo's 5 lb. minie Snausuer, obnocious litle bitch, that barks at every thing) and gets along just fine. I was a little uneasy at first, since I had seen other Chessies that were protective of their space. Well, Fatty has been no trouble at all, is friendly, and even lets me take her temp when ever I want to check it. She is truly a love to be around and even youdels for us now and then. She has changed my mind about the breed as far as i.m concerned.

Now Alan has another younger liver Chessie bitch on his truck and was out at our place doing some training and let a yellow Lab out of its hole and in her excitement, she jumped up on me. The little Chessie taught her that she should not jump on "her people". Kind of supprised me, but I did not get jumped on any more. Beginning to like those frizzy coated brown dogs even more! Nice dogs, Bill
    Pic of Fatty

Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    Also look at the amount of stories on here and other sites about labs not wanting to go into cold water. lol

Hunted with a chessie once that wouldn't even get out of the blind due to it being cold, must less even getting close to the water. The lab that was there at the time had absolutely no problem with it..... THings happen with both breeds. Come to think of it, I have yet to own a lab that I ever had trouble with it getting to cold. It was usually me restraining them to keep them from harm.
    Last edited by RJW; 01-10-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilBernardi View Post

Go look at the number of Chessies who have Grand titles or FC titles over the last, say, 30 years. I wonder why that is...not really.
    Tell us why.
    Explain the variables: AKC and UKC registration numbers, litter registrations, dogs/owner involved in field competition, field event entry numbers per breed, owner handler/trainer vs pro handler/trainer field titles, dogs /handler ratios....

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Quote Originally Posted by RJW View Post
    Hunted with a chessie once that wouldn't even get out of the blind due to it being cold, must less even getting close to the water. The lab that was there at the time had absolutely no problem with it..... THings happen with both breeds. Come to think of it, I have yet to own a lab that I ever had trouble with it getting to cold. It was usually me restraining them to keep them from harm.
    You're continued comments lead me to believe you've never hunted with or trained with or, run around anyone who has quality dogs?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    From what I have seen, they are a one owner dog and fairly independent. Gene pool is shallow as a thimble too!
    I wouldn't hook my wagon to any of them if Ft's were my passion, they can do the work but you might be in a wheel chair before it happens.

Toast anyone?
    I've found this not to be the case. Not if they're raised properly. I don't have the luxury of allowing any of my dogs be "one person" dogs. My chessies will run as well for anyone else as they do for myself. Independent?? No more so then many lab bitches I train.

Bad temperaments?? Nope,,, again not if you raise them right. I've had many more poor tempered labs then chessies.

I'd field trial a chessie if I had the right dog. Just like I would a lab,,, that and the resources. They are quite capable of being competitive.

Angie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by grnhd View Post
    For those of you that have them,are they as aggressive to other dogs as they are rumored to be?
    Only if allowed to be. That's more a sterotype. Buy a well bred, well raised chessie puppy and raise them correctly and there won't be issues.

Angie

One of the best chessies I ever saw was Dual Ch Westwinds Rudy of Nordais. (I think I have that correct). Anyway Rudy was out of Maine, owned by a very nice lady Wendy Shepard Chisolm (again hope that's right). Rudy excelled in the show ring and had both field titles.

I remember Wendy and Dave Mosher bringing Rudy to Alaska and I really liked his style... Hard charging, good marking dog.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    Also look at the amount of stories on here and other sites about labs not wanting to go into cold water. lol
    Apparently I don't read enough posts on this site.

I did hear this year of a lab that wavered during this year's duck season. Breaks my heart to hear a story like that, as every lab I know - other than that one - would die of hypothermia before giving up a retrieve in cold water.
    HR Surrey's Space Dog Nala

The best long range duck load is a well trained retriever - Nash Buckingham

Bill, Rudy was why we got the pup we did from Wendy! The pro I worked with had worked with him some and told us that if my husband was bound and determined to get a chessie, to get it from her!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com