The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Chessie vs lab ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Bill, Rudy was why we got the pup we did from Wendy! The pro I worked with had worked with him some and told us that if my husband was bound and determined to get a chessie, to get it from her!
    He didn't lead you wrong... Like I said I was fortunate enough to get to see Rudy run 4 or 5 trials 2 summers in a row. He was a good one. A real gentleman on the line too.

He even spent one night at my home in Alaska when he was injured at a trial on a Sunday evening and Wendy had to take him to a vet clinic the next morning... Guess that makes me an honorary chessie guy
    Last edited by huntinman; 01-10-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    Tell us why.
    Explain the variables: AKC and UKC registration numbers, litter registrations, dogs/owner involved in field competition, field event entry numbers per breed, owner handler/trainer vs pro handler/trainer field titles, dogs /handler ratios....

Tim
    Not really sure, Tim. I suspect the biggest might be bias or belief in a stereotype, that then has led to labs being the number one breed for hunt testing and field trialing over the last 30-40 years. Then again, it could be that the breed doesn't cut it in the large scope of things: I mean, if they were THAT good back then, then the breed would have taken off to be number one. Right?

Maybe the Chessie lovers will finally get that straightened out over the next 15-30 years.

I think Angie can help by starting to train nothing but Chessies.
    HR Surrey's Space Dog Nala

The best long range duck load is a well trained retriever - Nash Buckingham

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What is it called when the owner cannot pick up the birds. Big difference ,,

I call it a fine line
    Pete
    I love that Chessie and consider him protective. I have to try to get a photo and post it.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by PhilBernardi View Post
    Not really sure, Tim. I suspect the biggest might be bias or belief in a stereotype, that then has led to labs being the number one breed for hunt testing and field trialing over the last 30-40 years. Then again, it could be that the breed doesn't cut it in the large scope of things: I mean, if they were THAT good back then, then the breed would have taken off to be number one. Right?

Maybe the Chessie lovers will finally get that straightened out over the next 15-30 years.

That's a pretty giant leap to a conclusion. I really don't believe there is a bias among judges toward Labs, a good dog is a good dog. Regarding Labs being so popular, that doesn't necessarily translate into them being better dogs. As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, if you look at number of Labs entered in field trials versus the number of Chessies entered and compare that ratio to the ration of all age placements I think you would find Chessies actually beat the odds. As to whay there are so few Chessies entered compared to Labs the answer to that is in this thread, Chessies are definitely not the everyman dog a Lab is.

But what do I know, I just run Goldens...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PhilBernardi View Post

Hold the phone Bernardi guy!! Where do the majority of chessie puppies go? Who breeds many and more then a few chessies?? Pet/gun dog owners.... It's exasperating and frustrating to say the least dealing with these people. You will find it in any of the off breeds.

If more then a "few" people took this breed seriously it could really go somewhere...

I train whatever I need to train....

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I take it you have never seen Linda Harger's Chessies. They are very fast, stylish, talented well trained and most make FC-AFC. I have seen littermates and closely bred Chessies that were real slugs, I suspect that what I'm seeing is a difference in training.
    You are right I haven't seen her dogs. She must be a great trainer. I love seeing great dog work. Sounds like most of the peaks that I've seen need to go to her.

Most Chessie owners think the breed is number one in their book and just like the dogs, they really don't give damn what anyone else thinks

You got that right!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TimFenstermacher View Post
    Most Chessie owners think the breed is number one in their book and just like the dogs, they really don't give damn what anyone else thinks

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
    I have almost stuck with Chocolate Labs for the last thirty years, but when Alan Sanderfer won the Qual at Demopolis and "Fatty" came in season right after that we agreed to help him get her bred. She is due to whelp around the 20th of Jan. and has been in our house ever since she was bred at Greene, Lewis & Associates. She airs with our other house dogs (except with Lillie, Cleo's 5 lb. minie Snausuer, obnocious litle bitch, that barks at every thing) and gets along just fine. I was a little uneasy at first, since I had seen other Chessies that were protective of their space. Well, Fatty has been no trouble at all, is friendly, and even lets me take her temp when ever I want to check it. She is truly a love to be around and even youdels for us now and then. She has changed my mind about the breed as far as i.m concerned.

Now Alan has another younger liver Chessie bitch on his truck and was out at our place doing some training and let a yellow Lab out of its hole and in her excitement, she jumped up on me. The little Chessie taught her that she should not jump on "her people". Kind of supprised me, but I did not get jumped on any more. Beginning to like those frizzy coated brown dogs even more! Nice dogs, Bill
    Had the priviledge to watch the Q that Fatty won. She never put a paw down wrong all day......Very nice. The other Chessie that Alan has was running MH at I believe 9 or 10 months. Also a real nice dog.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by timfenstermacher View Post
    most chessie owners think the breed is number one in their book and just like the dogs, they really don't give damn what anyone else thinks
    amen!!!!!!!!!!!

Psalm 18:30: As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

Byrdhouse Dillie Dallie JH 10/28/2010 -

Rob