The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Chessie vs lab ?

Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    exactly.

I respect the people more that do it with the other breeds more then someone with a black lab.
    I respect anyone that walks to the line at any level in any venue with any breed!!

I have noticed thru judging and working HT & FT's Chessie owners are a devoted lot.
    They also seem pretty independent, I think they learn that from their pups!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

I agree Road Kill.........to me dogs always seem to remind me of there owners!

I'm sure it's because I'm partial to 'Peakes, but perhaps I wouldn't have inflamed the thread so much if I made the more accurate statement of saying more than likely, as opposed to most certainly, in regards to the whole show-bred-dogs-that-will-hunt statement. That I will stand behind. Sure, there are duds in every breed, and jtowne is right, those looking for gun dogs and/or trial/test dogs would still do better to concentrate on those lines, in any breed. That of course goes hand in hand with training and early environmental exposure. My whole point is that, in my opinion, natural hunting ability in the average Chesapeake is not as watered down as the average lab or golden. That again is thanks to each breed’s respective popularity. And the “eat your children comment”? Get real. The meanest retriever I ever owned was a male black lab. Obviously he was an exception to the rule as well, but he would have made a snack of the kids long before any of the Chessies I’ve had would. Did anyone NOT think this thread would go GDG at a high rate? 19 pages and counting...
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I respect anyone that walks to the line at any level in any venue with any breed!!

I have noticed thru judging and working HT & FT's Chessie owners are a devoted lot.
    They also seem pretty independent, I think they learn that from their pups!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer81 View Post
    I agree Road Kill.........to me dogs always seem to remind me of there owners!
    This is close, but I believe it's the other way 'round. My husband is tough, loyal, opinionated, stubborn when he thinks he is in the right, you get no where with him using excessive force but he is willing to use force to protect his home and his family, and he is really very sensitive and likes his belly rubbed. So what kind of dog would you EXPECT him to get????? Black labs were my choice, he picked the chessie. I think I will keep the husband and the dog!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Even though this thread may of turned into 19 pages of GDG, I think I am actually starting to see some light. How many of the pro lab posters here also campaign their field lab in the show ring? I would assume very few to none at all.

The Chessie people more readily share the breed with all the different venues such as conformation, agility, etc. and the humans that go along with them (and an interesting bunch to say the least!). From my experience, even though these other venues are all lumped together when talking Chessie, how one defines hunting is very different even if they think it is all the same. I have bought chessies out of lines with conformation CH and a minimal JH title or something similar and done okay in HT's but lets not confuse these dogs with a true HT or FT chessie. A JH on a show dog isnt much to a hardcore hunter or FT'er, but you tell that to a show chessie person and more than likely they will take your head off defending the hunting abilities of their dogs.

Would there really be a big performance difference between lab and chessie if all we were comparing was true HT/FT labs to true FT/HT chessies?

I think that "letting" the breed split happen, had a whole lot to do with the Labrador Retriever's overwhelming dominance in the field.

Breeding is about placing priorities, and selecting for them.
    That also means eliminating dogs from your breeding program.

The more criteria you have, the less dogs you have available to select from.
    Performance has to take a hit, for the sake of appearance.

Kaie became a Grand Champion in the show ring today.

Here are a few pictures after doing major crop damage on wild South Dakota roosters:

Ducks anyone?

Geese?

Dog Show?

Paul is too humble to tell you how really versatile that bitch is. Don't ya have a pic somewhere with Kaie doing Lab control????
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Congrats Paul and Kaie

I've had fun with this thread,and have came to the conclusion that at this time a chessie is not for me ,I'm sending a deposit this week for another black dog pup.

I still have a soft spot for them but I want to learn to train a dog before I train a CBR .Great info on the breed .Thanks for everyone's in put.

On the inside I 'm a chessie owner ,but maybe thats another chapter. Thanks for a lot of sincere PM's ,knowledge ,and the info on the breed , much respect to the original brown dog.

When I do go to the brown side I ve got a named picked out,that I will save.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "