RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Chessie vs lab ?

61K views 193 replies 63 participants last post by  dinaperugini 
#1 ·
All these chessie pics have me seriously considering a chessie, I was really considering one when I bought my current lab,BUT what does a chessie have to offer that a lab doesnt? Are they as trainable ? I dont seem to see many with the top titles,is that because there are not as many competing?

Chessie owners past or present...now is the chance to bring me to the brown side ! But I'd like to hear the pro's and con's compared to a lab to help educate me.

Or if you where a lab guy/gal ,but then went to chessie's what characteristics made you convert?

I'd like to hear the good and the bad of the breed.

#40 ·
I like Chessies a lot. I have seen some outstanding Chessies at Field Trials in my area. If I were to do a lot of big water hunting in the winter, the Chessie would be my choice. However I would want to be in touch with other Chessie owners to make sure I understood the unique characteristics of the breed.

#44 ·
I was not allowed to buy, or even look at the pups of the litter I found, the very first time. Until I passed the kitchen table interview. And they brought in an old snarling 13+yr old incontinent bitch to rest her drooling jowls on my knee for the whole time. It was 1997 in Stanbridge East Quebec. The first question they asked.

Why do you think you want a Chessie?
And it went from there.

I do think they have a bit of wild in them. Example, 3 weeks ago. I had 2 and my Brothers 1 Chessie at the family deer camp and our Dad had his Lab. 2 in the morning outside the wild dogs start up the baby cry howl in the distance. You know it? The Chessies gather at the door hackles scruffed and the pup Loco rumbeling low and they started into a group howl. Like fricken Wolves on the nature channel. It was actualy very cool. I mean the all roo and talk all the time all of them. But over the years I have seen maybe only a dozen true group howls. Outside the coydogs shut up, for the rest of the night, just shut up. And the Lab? She was under my Dads bunk and hid until daylight.
They are an odd, yellow eyed beast that will work with you, not for you.

#48 ·
When people ask me the difference between a Chesapeake & Lab, I usually explain that Chesapeakes are a more primitive breed. It's both good and bad that they never attained the popularity of Labs...good in that the breed hasn't changed that much and even one with what looks like a "nothing" pedigree will usually have the stuff to make a decent hunting dog. Good in that they aren't mass produced. But bad in that they're harder to find and definitely have a smaller gene pool and thus a higher rate of inherited problems like dysplasia.

Most of them are more territorial than Labs, but that is far different from aggression unless the dog isn't properly trained/socialized from a young age. Of the six I have now, the ones that I raised from birth are fine around anyone and other dogs; the ones that spent their formative years elsewhere are more reserved, and take truck guarding very seriously.

They learn the stare early: this pup is 12 wks. in the picture.

#73 ·
[QUOTEThe chessies I have owned have been protective but not aggressive......big difference.]
Can you explain what you mean.
Thanks
Pete[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine works his Chessie at the shooting preserve for the continental shoots. The dog stands over his pile of birds. Nobody but the owner can pick up the birds.

#54 ·
Morning Nick
It looks like from that picture that the dog is also raising the sides of his lip to expose slightly the back teeth. Can you see the curve of the side of his lip? Hard to tell from the picture. So it just might be a submissive grin,,,can't tell for sure. Great pick though. Love the red eyes.
Pete

#55 ·
What I've learned in this thread are...as a breed they can be hard to train,hard headed,hold a grudge and they can be "terreritorial" and "protective". I put that in quotes because to me that sounds mean. I know nothing about chessies,never even seen one in the flesh,but even you guys that have them are pointing out some pretty strong negatives. The positives I've seen are they are tough and take cold weather well,but so have the labs I've had.
I'm by no means knocking you guys that have chessies,or the breed,just trying to better understand what the positive is to owning one.

#56 ·
...... you guys that have them are pointing out some pretty strong negatives.......

why yes, we are. most that have had them a while start to protect them as a group. we do not want a Chessie in every home like the yellow lab potty paper TV adds.
they aint for everybody. but make it through the guantlet of us all in your face. and your gonna have something!

#58 ·
I have 4 chessies and 1 lab. All of the above comments are true. The lab is a dream to compete and tarin with. The chessies are a challenge. However, I get much more satisfaction out of competing with the chessies. They are generally slower to learn the competition game, but learn the hunting game very quickly. They are very independent. They would rather do it their own way. I had a lab that had no fear of cold water, but got hypothermia. I have never had cold weather hypothermia with my chessies. My current lab has MH title and has finished 3 Qs. She however, is no comparison to my MH chessie in the marsh. Several friends of mine have converted to chessies for hunting, Both are great dogs, but you will never know the difference unless you actually try both breeds. Good Luck!

#59 ·
I have asked clients why the have chosen what I call exotic breeds ,and most say they wanted something different. Well,with 28 years of experience,I equate different,for waterfowl hunting, is more risk in getting them trained properly. When you insist in using spaniels,pointers,currs ect to waterfowl hunt....you are asking for issues that are not the dogs fault because you want to be different. I guess getting a little off topic here. I have noted the personalities of hard core Chessie folks.

#64 ·
Yeah the "style" comment from WBF is freakin stupid.
I made the mistake several years ago of thinking that I would switch to labs to make the goal of FC "easier"...hahaha what a freakin ignorant moron I was. Several years and thousands(more like tens of thousands)of dollars later I had washed several, owned one dog with some AA points, and a couple more close to Qual. And at one point didnt even have a dog I was comfortable hunting with. With my chessies I went just about as far with fewer bullets, less money, in less time.
Here's a little secret, your odds are pretty slim either way so you might as well enjoy the hell out of the ride.

#65 ·
"Firm in what you do, gentle in how you do it" best describes training a Chessie. I had one years ago, then had and still do have labs, and also a year old Chessie. He LOVES birds, hunting, MOST training (wasn't real pleased initially with the healing stick/prong collar or the begining of hold/force fetch) all water and I really think the colder it is the more he likes it. I know all dogs have a personality but my Chessie has WAY MORE personality than any dog I've ever had, the "Chessie grin" and all the weird little roo-coo noises he makes. I know I'll always have a Chessie from here on out. Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed
He does this little head cock thing quite often when I'm talking to him, almost like he wants to talk back.

#66 ·
After this picture was taken a man was severely injured. Bystanders reported that the animal was walking out to get a flyer and on the way back he started picking up speed to attack the honor dog and his handler. Reporters stated that the duck was the only one that wasn't injured.

#70 ·
I kinda like some of the reputation that Chessies have. It's like having a secret, knowing that they really aren't that way at all. I would put alot of stock in the opinions of the folks who have both Labs and Chessies as they are in the best position to see the differences on a day to day basis and over a long period of time. I especially appreciate their comments to the thread.

It goes without saying that if someone does all the homework, and I mean thoroughly, and they still have any doubts about a Chessie, then they probably shouldn't get one, IMO.

Jay, I think you are on to something. Chessie owners are a little like Chessies; ie. "just a little bit different" Watch Out for them :)

#71 ·
The biggest grins we get out of our male (3 years old now, unaltered) is when our 9 year grandson comes over. That dogs bares his teeth, beats his tail, and literally cries when Robert shows up. Robert was 6 when we got Jake and used to sleep with him in his crate, LOL. Jake is a big boy, but he's a sweet, sensitive dog who likes everybody and gets along with everyone, including strange dogs encountered at the park. We haven't had to test his protective side yet, thank goodness, but I suspect he would defend us in an impressive way if it were necessary.

Our female has, from the minute we got her, been protective. Before we were able to establish that we (the people in the family) were higher up than her she would fight us for her food, toys, bones, etc. That's no longer a problem, but she still won't allow anyone else to get near her stuff or ours. She doesn't go looking for trouble, but if it comes to her, she's ready. I guess that's the difference between aggressive and protective behavior. At obedience class, if I leave her on a stay by my chair (where my coat, purse, and gear bag are sitting) she will sit there calmly, but if someone else's dog gets within 3 feet of her, the teeth come out. She doesn't go after them, she just warns them to keep away. She's guarding.

One thing I really noticed with our chessies, they remember everything. We haven't done any obedience work since last November. Went to class on Tuesday and she worked perfectly.

It only works for horse people, LOL, but the analogy of the Arabian vs. the Quarter Horse is a very good one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.