RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Chessie vs lab ?

61K views 193 replies 63 participants last post by  dinaperugini 
#1 ·
All these chessie pics have me seriously considering a chessie, I was really considering one when I bought my current lab,BUT what does a chessie have to offer that a lab doesnt? Are they as trainable ? I dont seem to see many with the top titles,is that because there are not as many competing?

Chessie owners past or present...now is the chance to bring me to the brown side ! But I'd like to hear the pro's and con's compared to a lab to help educate me.

Or if you where a lab guy/gal ,but then went to chessie's what characteristics made you convert?

I'd like to hear the good and the bad of the breed.

#2 ·
Well, I have to say in all the bouts so far, the lab has hollered Uncle first. Chessie don't take no prisoners. When it comes to personalities and training, they are radically different but I can't say which is best. The labs will work for ANYONE. The chessie will occasionally work for NO-ONE. When he chooses to, the chessie can out mark and out handle the labs. But frequently takes the Bartleby approach, which is to say, "I'd prefer not to". The chessie makes me laugh and cry. The labs make me proud and make me cry. So if you want a full life, get one of each. When you are busy boasting on your lab, your Chessie will go out get all your birds.

#3 ·
I used to hunt labs until about 7 years ago when I got my first Chesapeake. I personally like a big strong dog I can hunt day in and day out in the worst conditions and they can't get enough.

#5 ·
I like both breeds but my personal heart dog is a chessie male. I've trained several and like them very much. Training them is like training a Arabian or Thoroughbred horse. Don't shove anything down their throat and let them think it's all their idea. Also less is more. You can't punch them through like you can a lab. Teach the lesson and then let them think about.

Good Luck,,, You can't go wrong with either.

Angie

#11 ·
Ideally I want a dog like J Town mentioned,but want to be able to compete (not just spend money) in the upper level FT stakes,dont get me wrong I love my lab's ,but as Angie said ,I have a soft spot in me for a big broad chested dog that show's no fear.

One thing I'm noticing that I dont like with some of the well bread lab's that have amazing talent is that the seems to have little things like,runny stools from being to hyper, and just little nagging ailments ,and I dont seem to hear of these issues with Chessie's (but I do understand that there is a lot more lab's so the injury numbers will statistically higher.)

I dont like a high maintenance dog,for me to give a dog a bath would be throwing a bumper in the lake.

I really noticed this year after a case of cold tail that my dog was having a hard time dealing with the elements on the tough days -breaking ice,being on the dog stand for extended periods of time in flooded water etc and I felt sorry for her ,but she has a job to do.

To sum it up I kinda feel like the Chessie's are heavy duty and the lab's are more light duty,But the chessie's are not as versatile.

#12 ·
I've had one lab and currently have my first Chessie. The lab was my hunting buddy, no competition, and I never even heard the words "hunt test" until last May, so that tells you how much experience I have. But it seems to me that my Chessie is much harder to read than my lab was. For example, instead of turning his head in the direction he wants to go or leaning that way, he may only shift his eyes in that direction. Kind of sneeky in a way! My lab would almost always "advertise" what direction he wanted to go and I could adjust if it wasn't the way I wanted him to go. Not so with the Chessie, I have to be much more perceptive. But I wouldn't trade him for nothing. Others thoughts on this???

Tim

#14 ·
From what I have seen, they are a one owner dog and fairly independent. Gene pool is shallow as a thimble too!
I wouldn't hook my wagon to any of them if Ft's were my passion, they can do the work but you might be in a wheel chair before it happens.

Toast anyone?

#106 ·
I've found this not to be the case. Not if they're raised properly. I don't have the luxury of allowing any of my dogs be "one person" dogs. My chessies will run as well for anyone else as they do for myself. Independent?? No more so then many lab bitches I train.

Bad temperaments?? Nope,,, again not if you raise them right. I've had many more poor tempered labs then chessies.

I'd field trial a chessie if I had the right dog. Just like I would a lab,,, that and the resources. They are quite capable of being competitive.

Angie

#15 ·
Tim ,I used cold tail as kind of a reference ,as I figured they can all get it, but they seem to be a heartier breed ,but not invincible.

Raymond ,I am still a newbie in the art of training past throwing shotgun shell's in the direction I wanted a dog to go. I think you are on the path that has kept me from a chessie as far as trying to accomplish my goals in the FT games,which seem tough enough with a lab. My reasoning tell's me that if chessies' where better at the games then thats what most would own and champagne.

Maybe I'll just get a rottweiler for a truck dog,:D

#16 ·
Peakes are most definetley different to train than labs, but it seems to me that when you teach a peake something it remembers and it sticks with em, and that also goes for when you make a mistake with em ,THEY REMEMBER!!!!! Make a mistake in training with a lab, usually they forgive and forget by the next day, not always, but much better than a Chessie.
I got my first peake about 3 years ago, and it has been one heck of a ride!!! I got him mainly for hunting and hunt tests, I got sick of our labs refusing to go in cold water during duck season. He has yet to give me a no go in cold water. I really wish JTowne would post some pics of Thor breaking ice to make retrieves on the bay.

#17 · (Edited)
Chesapeakes are everything everyone has said: loyal, independent, strong, stubborn, moody,selective, talented.......

Are they different than labs? Yes. CBRs are not for everybody. IMHO you need to enjoy the process and be willing to invest yourself in the dog. A CBR works for him/herself and then decides if you are worthy their efforts. If you put in the work they will reward you.
CBRs do not take well to being "programed" that is why very few pro's have CBRs on their trucks. Therefore very few CBRs at FTs.

If want more than just another black dog give them a try!

Check out John and Amy Dahl's artilcle on the 3 breeds@ oakhillkennel.com

Tim

#18 · (Edited)
OK, maybe I'll be the one to get the popcorn passed around, because I don't have a pile of stats at hand. But it would appear, that for THE NUMBER OF CHESSIES that actually run field trials and are trained by competent people, that the percentage of them that reach higher titles is better than that of labs. Just a numbers thing I know, and the pros only take on the exceptional ones. Chessies are different, make no mistake about it, but what is the saying? "Viva la differance"! My joy is in the training, not the attaining. And by the way, my resistance to getting a Chessie in the first place is that I too believed they were "one man dogs". Scout has taught me that he can love and piss off both of us equally:)

And oh yeah Northernstorm, the biggest problem I have with my Chessie compared to the labs, SOMETIMES HE WILL NOT COME OUT OF THE WATER! He only does this in a trial or test;)

#20 ·
Hi Shawn
If you are really serious about getting a chessie,you should do your research.Find some owners in your area,go out and train or hunt with them,ask alot of questions,spend some time with them if possible.
Chessies are not for everyone,they are usually one person dogs,and some have a strong protective nature,that can cause problems if not kept in check.
I have never trained a lab,so I have nothing to compare them to,but from what I see when I train with labs,and the stories I have heard,Im thinking labs are a little bit easier.
I love the breed,and love their personality.If you have a good sense of humor,take your time training,and want a dog that will break ice for you,then this might be the breed for you.

#24 ·
"A good dog is a good dog. He doesn't know what breed or color he is, and he doesn't know what it says on his papers. He's just a good dog. I prefer good dogs." ~ D.L. Walters

Evan

#27 ·
Teaching a chessie tolerance is important. I agree with Tim C. that they prefer to stay above the fray. But if some dog, my own lab especially, starts acting like a fool, the Chessie is going to straighten it out on his own terms. Once I figured this out and corrected the lab for being a pita, no more trouble. And Scout is just fine with the free roaming mutts around here. He gives them that look, then goes about his business. So far none of them have questioned it. He loves pups, and is very patient with my two year old.

#28 ·
Some things folks have not mentioned are the late season and extremely cold hunting invites. Also not really supposed to wash them much and they stay pretty clean in general. I think a lot of ft and ht people shy away from them is because of the different training and typically requiring more time to get there. Most people do not realize how soft chessies really are! The aggressiveness shows up every now and then but lately I have seen a heck of a lot of really sweet and loving ones. If it shows up, you need to recognize and deal with it properly just like any other breed. When people in general ask me to explain the difference between a chessie and a lab I typically tell them the chessies seem to be one step closer to wild animal then the lab which usually avoids a big debate.

#32 · (Edited)
My dogs suck as watch dogs and I gave no problems with other dogs coming into their house. When my father in law and brother in law come to visit we have 3 Chessies, 2 Great Danes, 1 springer and 1 lab all in the house at the same time. My daughter starting walking my Chessies on a check cord when she was 18 months old. She is 3 years old now says I'm the doggies boss. If they are doing something they are not suppose to she goes nuts yelling at them and corrects them. It is hilarious. The do listen to her. My female sleeps in her room with her. I have had 2 different people run my Gracie in trials and test.

But one thing I notice the week before a test and trial just do obedience and singles. Don't get into a argument with them over a certain concept.

Also titling a Chessie means more to me then a lab. 10-15 Chessies a year earn their MH. 80-90 labs a year earn their FC.

#33 ·
My dogs suck as watch dogs and I gave no problems with other dogs coming into their house. When my father in law and brother in law come to visit we have 3 Chessies, 2 Great Danes, 1 springer and 1 lab all in the house at the same time. My daughter starting walking my Chessies on a check cord when she was 18 months old. She is 3 years old now says I'm the doggies boss. If they are doing something they are not suppose to she goes nuts yelling at them and corrects them. It is hilarious. The do listen to her. My female sleeps in her room with her. I have had 2 different people run my Gracie in trials and test.

But one thing I notice the week before a test and trial just do obedience and singles. Don't get into a argument with them over a certain concept.
I especially appreciate your last two sentences. My wife and I will definitely keep that in mind!

#36 ·
Got into a big fight with my peake the week before a test once, cost me a $80 entry fee, 4hr trip, hotel, food, and one grumpy chessie. Ive learned with peakes, and any other breed of dog for that matter that when you try to correct one problem you end up creating 10 more problems. You cant get nit picky with these dogs, it is a gradual process. KEEP EM HAPPY!!

#37 ·
Evan is right, a good dog is a good dog but the question is: Why ride a donkey when you could ride a horse? Every dog is different and there are a few good peaks out there running AA but not enough to impress me. Everyone has their favorite breed and my opinion is that if you want style go with a lab.

#38 ·
An oldie but goodie:

Take a Golden to the edge of a cliff and tell it to jump. He says "okay" and jumps.

Take a Lab to the edge of a cliff and tell it to jump. He says "you sure?" You nod yes and he jumps.

Take a Chessie to the edge of a cliff and tell it to jump. He says, "okay...you go first."

#149 ·
An oldie but goodie:
Take a Golden to the edge of a cliff and tell it to jump. He says "okay" and jumps.
Take a Lab to the edge of a cliff and tell it to jump. He says "you sure?" You nod yes and he jumps.
Take a Chessie to the edge of a cliff and tell it to jump. He says, "okay...you go first."
The way I heard it, when a thief tries to break into your house:

The Chessie opens the door;
The Lab opens the door and shows him where the valuables are kept,
The Golden opens the door, shows him where the valuables are kept, and helps him carry them to the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.