The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Chessie vs lab ?

I have both Labs and Chesapeakes and love the hell out of both breeds and let me tell you THE ONES THAT BADMOUTH CHESAPEAKES HAVE NEVER OWNED ONE.
    I retired early as all I wanted to do was breed, train a Chesapeake to the MH level. Did that 3 times and now working on a forth but I heard Labs were easier so I got one and put a MH on her. Are Labs easier YES they are if you get a well bred one that likes water. Labs can be just as tough to train as Chesapeakes if you don't know what you are doing so your first dog shouldn't be a Chesapeake in my opinion because if you make a mistake with a Chessie, it will stay in the memory forever and take a long while to overcome. The first Chessie I owned was the only dog I knew that in deep water could, swim up to the back of the boat, put his front feet up on the transom, hook his head behind the motor and pull himself into the boat all by himself and he weighed in at a whopping 110#. There was no teaching envolved in him doing that he did it all on his own,
    Clay
    Blue Skies Eye of the Storm MH
    Blue Skies Rags to Richs MH
    Blue Skies Travelin Man MH
    Blue Skies Snowy River Cruse SH
    Blue Skies Rough Rider Kate SH
    and all Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Two things.

First is: Go look at the number of Chessies who have Grand titles or FC titles over the last, say, 30 years. I wonder why that is...not really.

Second is: I've never heard a story of a lab not letting it's owner back into the owner's boat. Suffice it to say, that chessie didn't make it home that day.
    HR Surrey's Space Dog Nala

The best long range duck load is a well trained retriever - Nash Buckingham

I Respect Chessies and I know of one particular Male MH that I'd take over many many Labs. That said most Labs live to please, Chessies usually have to be convinced that it's worth their time. While the male is a great dog, he'll only run for those he respects, and even at 12 years of age you need to keep earning that respect. Even the best of the breed will "Go Chessie" on you every once in awhile . Also he's not the all around dog I need in the hotter regions of the Southwest, Duck hunting he's fine, upland he can over heat, quite easily. Before I bought into the Breed I'd go out and train with people who have them, see if you can run a few, and are compatible with the breed. It's easier to find and nurture greatness in a Lab, but having an Great Chessie is a rare treasure, even if you have to beat your or his head up against a wall sometimes .
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

[QUOTE=grnhd;1053772]What I've learned in this thread are...as a breed they can be hard to train,hard headed,hold a grudge and they can be "terreritorial" and "protective". I put that in quotes because to me that sounds mean. I know nothing about chessies,never even seen one in the flesh,but even you guys that have them are pointing out some pretty strong negatives. The positives I've seen are they are tough and take cold weather well,but so have the labs I've had.
    I'm by no means knocking you guys that have chessies,or the breed,just trying to better understand what the positive is to owning one.[/UOTE]
    ok here we go again...

My peakes do not run like pigs but most that do is because of the way they were trained. As far as being hard headed or needing a two by four, just remember that they were bred to guard the boat,guns,and whatever else their owners left when they went into town or wherever. So, they were also bred to be self thinkers. You just need to be smarter than the dog.
    Joyce (Blackwater Chesapeakes)
    my

I was working a gun station with my training group...the dog running broke...a 90 lb chessie running full tilt after the bird I just threw.....I had to get it before the chessie did......I got to the bird before the dog but with the look and determination I dropped it for the hard charger....was not a battle I wanted. I know nothing would have happened but heck with that!!!! Really nice dog though!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

Chris,that reminds me of the first hunt test I ever went to,the guy had a chessie that was huge! he was parked so his SUV was facing away from the test and when he opened the back end and let his pony out of the crate he put his hand threw the leash and when the dog seen a bird lob threw the air he took off ,taking his owner to the ground and drug him several feet before he could get his footing.Then when it was finally his turn to run ,I think he refused to enter the water..

He was an older/but physically fit gentleman ,but it seemed he had WAY more dog than he could handle,as the dog basically ran over him most of the time he was out of their SUV. This dog was every bit of 120# of pure meat.

He was also entered in a test the following weekend at a different club ,but was a no-show.

RTF's own Otey B. was judging that day ,I dont know if he seen it go down or not.
    Last edited by shawninthesticks; 01-10-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Videtto View Post
    I dropped it for the hard charger....was not a battle I wanted. I know nothing would have happened but heck with that!!!! Really nice dog though!
    Good Choice depending on the Chessie Perhaps nothing would've happened, or perhaps he would've flipped you over, made a little love with you cowering form, peeped on you then returned with the bird. With a Chessie you never know but I have I've known one who had a thing for particular bird boys
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

She caught me posting this thread up and now she wont even look at me 2013-01-10 11.54.09.jpg
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by PhilBernardi View Post
    Two things.

First is: Go look at the number of Chessies who have Grand titles or FC titles over the last, say, 30 years. I wonder why that is...not really.

Second is: I've never heard a story of a lab not letting it's owner back into the owner's boat. Suffice it to say, that chessie didn't make it home that day.
    Also look at the amount of stories on here and other sites about labs not wanting to go into cold water. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    I Respect Chessies and I know of one particular Male MH that I'd take over many many Labs. That said most Labs live to please, Chessies usually have to be convinced that it's worth their time. While the male is a great dog, he'll only run for those he respects, and even at 12 years of age you need to keep earning that respect. Even the best of the breed will "Go Chessie" on you every once in awhile . Also he's not the all around dog I need in the hotter regions of the Southwest, Duck hunting he's fine, upland he can over heat, quite easily. Before I bought into the Breed I'd go out and train with people who have them, see if you can run a few, and are compatible with the breed. It's easier to find and nurture greatness in a Lab, but having an Great Chessie is a rare treasure, even if you have to beat your or his head up against a wall sometimes .
    Hopefully there is a another Chessie out there that you will also that the same opinion on. Have you talked to him at all I know she was sent to the trainer back in like July.