The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Chessie vs lab ?

agree 110% snook
    Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    Running master at 11 months but didn't pass a master until 18 months and 4 more to go till MH.
    It doesn't matter when you run a test just when you pass test. I can run my 1 year old in open it doesn't mean anything unless they earn a ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    The way I heard it, when a thief tries to break into your house:

The Chessie opens the door;
    The Lab opens the door and shows him where the valuables are kept,
    The Golden opens the door, shows him where the valuables are kept, and helps him carry them to the car.

Not quite, the Chessie opens the door, slams it behind the thief and chews him new one!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Puwal View Post
    In 2005 there were 137,867 registered Labs and something like 3,500 Chesapeakes. In 2011 the Lab was #1 in popularity and the Chesapeake was #46. The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is happy with his spot in popularity. They were developed in the good old USA on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay for marketing hunting. The dogs bred today closely resemble the original dogs. Modern Chesapeakes are less aggressive and more trainable. They are still extremely loyal and require a firm pack leader to handle their eager intelligence. A small handful of devoted owners and trainers compete in field trials with the CBR and they have finished 18 dual champion Peakes to date. When last I checked there were close to 100 Master Hunter/Bench Champions with more added each year and there is at least one Grand Champion Master Hunter. The Chesapeake is unique and the breeders who love them have kept them the same dog that can go from the duck blind to the conformation ring. They compete in many venues with success. Most folks who have owned them are sorrowful when they pass and purchase a new puppy to continue the tradition.
    Very well stated! And I certainly hope that Chessies never reach the popularity of Labs.

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Well Punkin did a nice job for a dog her age in a Master that ATE a bunch of MH dogs. I enjoy seeing a dog accomplish good work no matter what their age. That little gal did well. I did not see all the Master as I was judging Seniors and just got to see the 3rd series.
    Just for the record I don't care what color,breed or titles a dog has. I care about seeing good dogs do their thing.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Just a thought on the whole agressiveness thing...My 2.5year old female goes with me while I'm guiding goose hunting clients on Maryland's Eastern Shore, and incidentally over the last four days I have hunted with clients that brought their own dogs (all labs). My female was as social as could be with all of these dogs, and yes this included some males.There were even days with three dogs in the pit and there were never any issues. (That many dogs are definitely not common, but these are some long time clients that are just as much friends as pay hunters, so anything goes). She kept near my side and minded her own business, even when some of the labs were clowning around and "teasing" her. Sometimes when shuttling the guys out to the pit, she climbs on their laps and nuzzles them like a big lap dog. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "This is the nicest Chessie I'veever met!" Early socialization is the key, both with people and other dogs...mine even loves our cat.
    And as far as trainability, I obtained mine from a breeder known better for producing show dogs than gun dogs, but my instincts and previous experience with Chessie's was right: Pretty much every Chessie is going to hunt. You may get that with a show bred lab or golden, but you most certainly will get it with a show bred Chessie. I wanted a knockout looking dog that would perform and so far am getting what I sought. She is the first dog I entered into the hunt test world with, but she quickly completed her JH and has gone 2 for 3 on her senior tests so far, and on a side note is halfway to her show CH. She consistently recieves compliments from clients on her looks,hunting performance and good manners. But as many have already noted on here,be prepared to adjust your methods. They'll remember the good, but they will never forget the bad. Be careful on choosing your battles with concepts. For instance, we went out on the last series, the water blind, on our last test, because she decided to do things her way and cheat a little off the water corner...her memory from getting things done quickly in the real hunting world,a habit I let develop while hunting. Subsequent attemps in training to correct had her giving me the cold shoulder for a while. More than with labs, you haveto "make 'em think it's their idea." I firmly believe that's the trick. Good luck, once you have one, you'll want another.
    Last edited by Ntblzjk719; 01-13-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Ntblzjk719 View Post
    Pretty much every Chessie is going to hunt. You may get that with a show bred lab or golden, but you most certainly will get it with a show bred Chessie.
    I dont agree at all. Not every chessie is going to hunt. I have seen some horrbible chessies especially in the junior stakes.

Puppy buyers do have to do their homework and if they want a dog for the field they should buy one with field backrounds.
    www.steenoutfitters.com
    Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
    Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Gracie girl **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, MH, WDQ
    Next project
    Captain Thor's Nina Bean Benelli

I dont agree at all. Not every chessie is going to hunt. I have seen some horrbible chessies especially in the junior stakes.

Puppy buyers do have to do their homework and if they want a dog for the field they should buy one with field backrounds.
    I agree 100% I have a dead grass male that will not hunt.

Let's look at Thor's pedigree. The two most prominent dogs in there are CFC/AFC CH Ironwoods Stone E Cubs who produced Ch Chestnut Hills Stone E's Tug, the only Chessie to win the national SHOW specialty three times. A top performing field dog sired THE top producing Chessie stud dog in Chessie history.

I think that there are dogs in any retriever breed that are not gung ho to hunt. Some of it depends on the owner and/or the trainer, the early experiences, etc. I think the correct comment would be "gundog background" rather than "field background" as to me field indicates field trial. There are more Chesapeakes with gundog background and fewer with field trial.

To me a field background is a background where the dog was used for retrieving. It could be hunting, trials, or test. Just something in the field.

Chesaka what is your point?

Not all Chesapeake breeders care if the dog retrieves or has a good temperament. Some just care about their coat and bone structure.
    www.steenoutfitters.com
    Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
    Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Gracie girl **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, MH, WDQ
    Next project
    Captain Thor's Nina Bean Benelli