The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Chessie vs lab ?

[QUOTEThe chessies I have owned have been protective but not aggressive......big difference.][/QUOTE]

Can you explain what you mean.
    Thanks
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by WBF View Post
    Evan is right, a good dog is a good dog but the question is: Why ride a donkey when you could ride a horse? Every dog is different and there are a few good peaks out there running AA but not enough to impress me. Everyone has their favorite breed and my opinion is that if you want style go with a lab.
    Sounds like you made a good decision to ride the horse. You probably wouldn't have the patience to ride the donkey

Morning Nick
    It looks like from that picture that the dog is also raising the sides of his lip to expose slightly the back teeth. Can you see the curve of the side of his lip? Hard to tell from the picture. So it just might be a submissive grin,,,can't tell for sure. Great pick though. Love the red eyes.
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

What I've learned in this thread are...as a breed they can be hard to train,hard headed,hold a grudge and they can be "terreritorial" and "protective". I put that in quotes because to me that sounds mean. I know nothing about chessies,never even seen one in the flesh,but even you guys that have them are pointing out some pretty strong negatives. The positives I've seen are they are tough and take cold weather well,but so have the labs I've had.
    I'm by no means knocking you guys that have chessies,or the breed,just trying to better understand what the positive is to owning one.

Quote Originally Posted by grnhd View Post
    ...... you guys that have them are pointing out some pretty strong negatives.......

why yes, we are. most that have had them a while start to protect them as a group. we do not want a Chessie in every home like the yellow lab potty paper TV adds.
    they aint for everybody. but make it through the guantlet of us all in your face. and your gonna have something!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by TimFenstermacher View Post
    Sounds like you made a good decision to ride the horse. You probably wouldn't have the patience to ride the donkey
    Sorry it has nothing to do with patience. I just like animals with style, most I've seen walk on everything. Thats not fun to even watch. I'm glad there is a group of people out there that enjoys them. It looks like yours run, great for you.
    Last edited by WBF; 01-10-2013 at 08:34 AM.

I have 4 chessies and 1 lab. All of the above comments are true. The lab is a dream to compete and tarin with. The chessies are a challenge. However, I get much more satisfaction out of competing with the chessies. They are generally slower to learn the competition game, but learn the hunting game very quickly. They are very independent. They would rather do it their own way. I had a lab that had no fear of cold water, but got hypothermia. I have never had cold weather hypothermia with my chessies. My current lab has MH title and has finished 3 Qs. She however, is no comparison to my MH chessie in the marsh. Several friends of mine have converted to chessies for hunting, Both are great dogs, but you will never know the difference unless you actually try both breeds. Good Luck!
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie

I have asked clients why the have chosen what I call exotic breeds ,and most say they wanted something different. Well,with 28 years of experience,I equate different,for waterfowl hunting, is more risk in getting them trained properly. When you insist in using spaniels,pointers,currs ect to waterfowl hunt....you are asking for issues that are not the dogs fault because you want to be different. I guess getting a little off topic here. I have noted the personalities of hard core Chessie folks.

Quote Originally Posted by WBF View Post
    ..... I just like animals with style, most I've seen walk ......

style?
    we aint got no stinkin' style!
    snicker snicker pshaw!

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin