The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Chessie vs lab ?

The biggest grins we get out of our male (3 years old now, unaltered) is when our 9 year grandson comes over. That dogs bares his teeth, beats his tail, and literally cries when Robert shows up. Robert was 6 when we got Jake and used to sleep with him in his crate, LOL. Jake is a big boy, but he's a sweet, sensitive dog who likes everybody and gets along with everyone, including strange dogs encountered at the park. We haven't had to test his protective side yet, thank goodness, but I suspect he would defend us in an impressive way if it were necessary.

Our female has, from the minute we got her, been protective. Before we were able to establish that we (the people in the family) were higher up than her she would fight us for her food, toys, bones, etc. That's no longer a problem, but she still won't allow anyone else to get near her stuff or ours. She doesn't go looking for trouble, but if it comes to her, she's ready. I guess that's the difference between aggressive and protective behavior. At obedience class, if I leave her on a stay by my chair (where my coat, purse, and gear bag are sitting) she will sit there calmly, but if someone else's dog gets within 3 feet of her, the teeth come out. She doesn't go after them, she just warns them to keep away. She's guarding.

One thing I really noticed with our chessies, they remember everything. We haven't done any obedience work since last November. Went to class on Tuesday and she worked perfectly.

It only works for horse people, LOL, but the analogy of the Arabian vs. the Quarter Horse is a very good one.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

And a large roll of toilet paper!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    [QUOTEThe chessies I have owned have been protective but not aggressive......big difference.]
    Can you explain what you mean.
    Thanks
    Pete[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine works his Chessie at the shooting preserve for the continental shoots. The dog stands over his pile of birds. Nobody but the owner can pick up the birds.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I have almost stuck with Chocolate Labs for the last thirty years, but when Alan Sanderfer won the Qual at Demopolis and "Fatty" came in season right after that we agreed to help him get her bred. She is due to whelp around the 20th of Jan. and has been in our house ever since she was bred at Greene, Lewis & Associates. She airs with our other house dogs (except with Lillie, Cleo's 5 lb. minie Snausuer, obnocious litle bitch, that barks at every thing) and gets along just fine. I was a little uneasy at first, since I had seen other Chessies that were protective of their space. Well, Fatty has been no trouble at all, is friendly, and even lets me take her temp when ever I want to check it. She is truly a love to be around and even youdels for us now and then. She has changed my mind about the breed as far as i.m concerned.

Now Alan has another younger liver Chessie bitch on his truck and was out at our place doing some training and let a yellow Lab out of its hole and in her excitement, she jumped up on me. The little Chessie taught her that she should not jump on "her people". Kind of supprised me, but I did not get jumped on any more. Beginning to like those frizzy coated brown dogs even more! Nice dogs, Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

Pete i was putting his ear medicine in and the alcohol smell makes him do it. It cracks me up. He does the same thing when he smells the bitter apple spray. It cracks me up.

My male has plenty of style. Judges have redid series because of his water entry and the way he jumps over ditches.

Here is my female with my daughter when she was about 8 months old.
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...aandgracie.mp4
    Here is my daughter was her 18 months old.
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...522-1209-1.mp4
    My nephews playing keep away
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...4/VID00033.mp4

Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    Pete i was putting his ear medicine in and the alcohol smell makes him do it. It cracks me up. He does the same thing when he smells the bitter apple spray. It cracks me up.

My male has plenty of style. Judges have redid series because of his water entry and the way he jumps over ditches.

Here is my female with my daughter when she was about 8 months old.
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...aandgracie.mp4
    Here is my daughter was her 18 months old.
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...522-1209-1.mp4
    My nephews playing keep away
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...4/VID00033.mp4
    Thats pretty awesome. My First chessie was a big 112 pound male. Wasn't raised around kids but the neighbor kids would come to our house, knock on the door and ask if they could throw bumpers for him. They would go let him out of the back yard and throw for him forever. Agressive he was not. One day while my wife was out walking him a man walked up and started talking to her, he moved between them and leaned on her until he left. I have no doubt that he would have protected her if the man had ill intentions.
    A quick hunting story about him. We were hunting a flooded river East of Houston. The water was deep everywhere so we were hunting back in the trees out of the boat. My partner crippled a wood duck and I sent Jasper. He took off and into the flooded woods they went. He was gone a while before I started to worry but I could hear branches crashing every few minutes then nothing. he wasnt trained well enough to call him off the bird and there was no way to get the boat back into where they were so I waited. Well over a half hour later I start hearing branches again so I started calling him in. He had the bird. Now i can't tell you whether he had been swimming the entire time or found a log and took a nap but in my mind that is still one of the greatest retrieves I've ever been a part of. FWIW, no way I would let that happen today.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

A friend of mine works his Chessie at the shooting preserve for the continental shoots. The dog stands over his pile of birds. Nobody but the owner can pick up the birds.
    What is it called when the owner cannot pick up the birds. Big difference ,,

I call it a fine line
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

My BLF follows me into the bathroom also. Can't leave her alone for one minute. Come to think of it, I had a Goledn male that was the same way. Some dogs just attach themselvesd to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What is it called when the owner cannot pick up the birds. Big difference ,,

I call it a fine line
    Pete
    and I'm going to say that is either trained or allowed.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."