The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on picking a pup

Default Thoughts on picking a pup

What are your thoughts on picking a pup from a litter? What attributes can you observe and do they predict future behavior. How about hunting ability? Is that really a crap shoot?

If you found what you thought to be a sound litter and were in a situation where you were male pick # 2 and there were only 2 males would you be at all concerned?

Sorry if this is one of those beaten to death questions...but I'd love to hear some thoughts.

I wouldn't worry about it - you pick the litter and hope for the best with the puppy. My current puppy was 1 of 2 black males, I trusted a friend to pick one and throw it in a crate and ship it for me - I personally like a puppy who is curious and into everything, not afraid to explore but will check in with the person who is playing with him, not overly dominant but not a fly on the wall....I like a little personality, a little attitude, but not so much that they think the can ignore humans (overly independent), but of course this is completely personal preferences...and of course in no way can predict whether or not the puppy will be "the one." But what it does for me is ensures I have a puppy that I like and that is all that matters to me!

It really is a crap shoot! Pick the litter, which it sounds like you have. Also when evaluating puppies, some many outside influences come into play - did they just wake up, have they already been playing for a while, are they hungry, etc...so what you see at any given time may vary.

Best of luck with your new puppy - do you have a name picked out?
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Name? I have a wife and six kids. To get clearance for a dog that they will care for while I'm at work I had to sell the naming rights to them. I have veto power, but for now it's stuck in the Senate.

Pick the litter decide on sex put all of the chosen sex in a box reach in and grab one. The other option is to let the person who raised the litter pick for you. If you havent interacted with the litter like the person raising it has you are still just guessing. Pick the litter not the pup.
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

Do they have a 2/3rds override?
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

Isnt that why they have the Veto?
    But seriuosly.Pick a litter that You really like ,talk to the breeder and tell them what kind of dog You want to end up with. Then pick a sex.And as already stated reach in and just fall in love with One!

I know you guys are probably right...easier said than done sometimes.

Agree, with above, the easiest way to pick a pup, is get the last one. Fore some reason in my experience they are best.

I don't know how you guy's do it over there?
    ..But 40 years ago,I went with my grandad to pick a pup.
    He picked out one at a time from a 6 week old litter and rolled it along the grass, the one that came back for more he took home !?
    He never had a bad one as I recall?...Don't know how much truth is in that method?..But it worked for him!
    However, I have found that over them forty years, It has been pretty much a lottery, until they show there real colours', and that is usually around 11-12 weeks old,when the bond with human rather than weaned dog is in place?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oszfoJfNehQ
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by Brokengunz View Post
    Agree, with above, the easiest way to pick a pup, is get the last one. Fore some reason in my experience they are best.
    I had last pick! And I got the bestest one!
    Renee P