The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on picking a pup

Got this off another cite, Super Tanker >
    Retriever Hall of Fame-1994 Winner of the 1992 National Open and 1990 National Amateur. Was the Last Pick of a litter. Tank became All Age Qualified at Twenty Months of age. At age three Tank was a finalist in the 1988 National Amateur Championship. He then won the 1990 National Amateur and in 1992 the National Open and became only the fourth retriever in history to win both the National Open and the National Amateur Championships. He was handled to the win by Mike Lardy. Tank also proved to be a productive and popular stud dog with 51 FC Titled offspring.
    Last edited by Brokengunz; 01-10-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: edit

Go to check out the litter and let one of the pups pick you
    Bert Rodgers

Close your eyes and reach in a grab one! They best dog I ever had was the last one in the litter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokengunz View Post
    Got this off another cite, Super Tanker >
    Retriever Hall of Fame-1994 Winner of the 1992 National Open and 1990 National Amateur. Was the Last Pick of a litter. Tank became All Age Qualified at Twenty Months of age. At age three Tank was a finalist in the 1988 National Amateur Championship. He then won the 1990 National Amateur and in 1992 the National Open and became only the fourth retriever in history to win both the National Open and the National Amateur Championships. He was handled to the win by Mike Lardy. Tank also proved to be a productive and popular stud dog with 51 FC Titled offspring.
    Super Tanker's daughter 3xNFC AFC Candlewood's Tanks A Lot - Lottie Retriever Hall Of Fame ’90,’91,’93 NFC-AFC Candlewoods Tanks A Lot (Lottie) was the last pup in Mary Howley’s litter so she gave the dog to Andy Attar, who was working with Mike Lardy at Handjem Retrievers at the time. Andy raised Lottie in the house and gave her marks while training client dogs with Mike – she showed an uncanny ability to mark almost immediately. Andy and Mike completed her basics at about eight and a half months. She ran and won her first Derby at eleven months. Her performance, and apparent potential, were impressive enough that Mary and Randy Kuehl bought her back from Andy. Over the next year, Lottie earned a record 108 Derby points while winning a Qualifying at fifteen months and an Open 3 rd at twenty months. At twenty-seven months she completed her FC and her AFC shortly thereafter.
    Home of:
    HRCH UH Trinity's Riptide Ryder MH CGC TDI (Passed the 2011 Master National Qualified for '12)
    HRCH UH Trinity's Gremlin Reaper MH CGC ('11 & 12 Master National Qualified)
    HRCH UH Trinity's Riptide River Rush MH CGC ('11 & 12) Master National Qualified passed 2013)
    HRCH Trinity's God of Thunder SH CGC (3 MH pass)
    Trinity's Bird of Prey MH CGC TDI
    Trinity's Blue Moon Rising (1 MH pass)

I have a page on my website that deals with this exact issue. It is way to long to post but if you are interested in how to pick a litter, breeder and then pup it is full of useful information.

http://www.trinitylabs.net/when_buyi..._retriever.htm
    Home of:
    HRCH UH Trinity's Riptide Ryder MH CGC TDI (Passed the 2011 Master National Qualified for '12)
    HRCH UH Trinity's Gremlin Reaper MH CGC ('11 & 12 Master National Qualified)
    HRCH UH Trinity's Riptide River Rush MH CGC ('11 & 12) Master National Qualified passed 2013)
    HRCH Trinity's God of Thunder SH CGC (3 MH pass)
    Trinity's Bird of Prey MH CGC TDI
    Trinity's Blue Moon Rising (1 MH pass)

You pick the litter and sex and let the wife and kids pick the pup.

I actually think "Veto" is a cute name.......
    Karen & Dick Kennedy

Home of:
    Pleasant Pine's Making A Mark, UD,RA,SH,WCX,Can CD,Can WC,CC,CGC
    Pleasant Pine's A Bit of Mischief, CDX MH,WCX,Can WC,CC,CGC
    Wilmark's Jus 1 Mor at Pleasant Pine, SH,RA,WCX,CC,CGC
    Pleasant Pine's Hidden Treasure, CDX,MH,WCX,CC,CGC
    Cedarwood's Always Playing at Pleasant Pine, JH
    Pleasant Pine's Returned To Sender, CC

Avatar Picture - Pleasant Pine's Hidden Treasure,CDX,MH,WCX,CC,CGC
    taken by Marsha Wilcox Photography

Hey why were Lottie and Tanker the last chosen?

Size? Other??????
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

Well, there were actually 2 males for me to pick from. One was smaller than the other. I got the feeling that’s why he was left. After some baseless concerns about his size I picked him. (not time to run home and post here with that one) He just seemed more focused on people. Came to those that called him before the bigger guy and the kids liked that.

My teenage duck hunters named him Drake. I did not clue them in on the likely large number of others with that name. I did not use my veto powers.

Now I’m dreaming of sleeping through the night soon…

When I picked mine I had received several pictures as the puppies aged so I had a good idea what they all looked like but no idea of anything else. My pick was the second male. The litter had 3 male puppies...one wearing a black collar one wearing blue and one wearing orange. I really liked the looks of the black collared one just going by the pictures. He was always awake and always on his feet. My second favorite was wearing the orange collar...also always awake and up but a bit lighter colored. My least favorite was the little guy in the blue collar....he was asleep in every picture. Well the big day came and the black collar male had been spoken for. The breeder got all the remaining puppies out of the box including the females that were still available and let them run around. We had decided on a male so I was focused on the orange collared one....he ran from me and all he wanted to do was get back in the box....didn't want to be held....just cried trying to get back in the box. The little blue collared boy that had always been asleep in the pictures was off rummaging through some bushes nearby and playfully jumped on me when I went to pick him up. Guess who went home with us...yup....the little guy in the blue collar. Now that I've had him for 6 months I've decided he was always asleep in the pictures because that was the only time he was still enough for a picture to be taken.