The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunt test clubs...... NE

Default Hunt test clubs...... NE

Hunt test Clubs..........

jumping up on my soap box, please forgive me I need to get this off my chest....

day by day now the events are starting to post on EE. As i look over what is in my region for the up-coming year there seems to be a trend.....REPEATING JUDGES !!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not talking just once in a while here I'm talking weekend to weekend, year after year...they seem to just go from RC to next.......never see them run any dogs just judge MH stakes........ wasn't something past last year about running a dog in a test from time to time......I know personally of 12 or more people looking to give back to the sport, they've sat thru the classes, did there Apprenticeships but for what ever reason can't seem to get assignment.....

just saying RC's how about giving a new guy/gal a chance.......

off my soap box now....

Ty you for letting me vent.........

PS. yes I'm judge ( # 92146 ) and I have sat in the chair...........

I would be thankful that you have judges available............and then make sure you get your name in the circle for judging

Scott,
    Have them post their info in judges chair. Atlanta would love to have 12 new judges in our area!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shafer View Post
    Hunt test Clubs..........

jumping up on my soap box, please forgive me I need to get this off my chest....

day by day now the events are starting to post on EE. As i look over what is in my region for the up-coming year there seems to be a trend.....REPEATING JUDGES !!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not talking just once in a while here I'm talking weekend to weekend, year after year...they seem to just go from RC to next.......never see them run any dogs just judge MH stakes........ wasn't something past last year about running a dog in a test from time to time......I know personally of 12 or more people looking to give back to the sport, they've sat thru the classes, did there Apprenticeships but for what ever reason can't seem to get assignment.....

just saying RC's how about giving a new guy/gal a chance.......

off my soap box now....

Ty you for letting me vent.........

PS. yes I'm judge ( # 92146 ) and I have sat in the chair...........

Are you talking about the Northeast area (region 1)?

I just looked the listings over. All the master judges listed have BEAUCOUP dog handling experience, and in most cases have trained their own dogs. Which club do you belong to? Your home club is the usual starting point for the first 1 or 2 assignments. If you are good at it, or show promise of being good at it, subsequent opportunities will present themselves.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Are you talking about the Northeast area (region 1)?

I just looked the listings over. All the master judges listed have BEAUCOUP dog handling experience, and in most cases have trained their own dogs. Which club do you belong to? Your home club is the usual starting point for the first 1 or 2 assignments. If you are good at it, or show promise of being good at it, subsequent opportunities will present themselves.-Paul
    I'm not talking about myself....I could careless if I judge again here in the NE.......I'm just sick and tired of running under the same OLD judges week after week......same old boreing test ......SH test with 3 series.....just feed-up with it.....challenge the D*** dogs already........

feel better now TY

I too, would like to see more “NEW” names on Judging slates. There are a few challenges I see for HT Chairs/Clubs to deal with: 1) 6 point total between the pair-Solution, conscious effort to pair experienced judges with beginners-Challenge, HT chairs will often ask judge 1 if there is someone they would like to be paired with and if available, their wishes are often accommodated resulting in perhaps another old guard judge as opposed to a newbie. 2) “must have run a dog at the level being judged within the past 7 years- Challenge, this has put some of the old guard experience out of potential options. 3) Expense of bringing in out of Region Judges- challenge, finding alternative income sources rather than relying on HT revenue and dues or perhaps exchange agreements. 4) Negative experiences and unwillingness to give someone another opportunity- We’ve all had it happen as handlers, but a different pairing on different grounds just might create a different experience. 5) Judges must now Judge twice at a lower level before advancing.
    Clubs rely on the revenue from their HT and desire repeat business. The emphasis gets put on “POPULAR” for a good draw. If we shift our perspective to educating and offering experience to those with less experience, we will eventually have a greater pool of folks to draw from. This takes time and willingness from the old guard to work with NEW. I’m sure there are many out there.
    I enjoy the HT game immensely. I have trained my dog to MH. I am actively involved in more than one retriever Club and have participated in setting up training days and Mock tests. I have attended 2 AKC Judges/Handlers seminars, apprenticed at JR. and SR. and Judged one JR. Test. Personally, I’d like to Judge 2 Tests per year maximum.
    The NEW judging rules and regulations are just something we need to accept as we do with testing rules and regs., and certainly some of those have changed our perspective on how we train. The folks who spend their hard earned dollar to educate themselves and spend their greenbacks to apprentice and give back to a sport that doesn’t Pay judges, deserve a shot. If Clubs change their focus from oldies to newbies, we may have a few one hit wonders, but may also gain a New Billboard Top 40 in the process.
    Cindy Von Sutphen

Dai Suki Desu MH
    Reed Lanes Ladies Love a Rockstar CGC
    LPK's If I Can Call You Betty (da behbeh gurl)

Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX (no more cause the RV park we stayed in said no to outside dogs.

As a new judge I have reached out to clubs that sponsored HTs last year offering my services. I have been taken up and have the ball rolling and should be well on my way to being a 6 point SH judge by summers end. My point is if you make the decision to get that involved it is not hard to find a place to get started if you are willing to travel and give of your time and be easy on expenses. Do what it takes. As far as MH, I have no idea at this point why anyone would want to judge Master.
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

I was interested in judging and have sat through the class but with all the hoops I have to jump through I doubt I will ever judge. I will just pick and choose who I want to run under and just gave fun. Thanks to the judges that give up their weekends.
    www.steenoutfitters.com
    Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
    Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Gracie girl **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, MH, WDQ
    Next project
    Captain Thor's Nina Bean Benelli

If you don't like the way it's done, get involved with the club and change things. Otherwise, you're just whining.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    If you don't like the way it's done, get involved with the club and change things. Otherwise, you're just whining.
    I do think this is one area where one has to lead by example.

If you want change, figure out what is within your control and go do it.

There may very well be a back story with some good logic as to why things are the way they are today. You may not have all the facts.

Chris