The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slowing down on the return

Default Slowing down on the return

My 7 month old BLF and I are working on double retrieves right now, but i noticed this on all retrieves. She will go out, pick up the bumper, start running back, but at about 20 feet from me she will walk the rest of the way in. She will not be a HT or FT dog, just a meat dog. Is there any "Quick Fix" for this? Thank You in advance

Make her want to come to you ...bend over at the waist so you aren't as an imposing object...Are you acting like a stone figure when she comes ? Get animated and show some excitement as she is comming....In other words act like a blooming idot ,she just won the national.....Steve S
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 01-10-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Wouldn't bother me.

I have the opposite problem, IE shoulder slam into the side of my knee.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Wouldn't bother me.

I have the opposite problem, IE shoulder slam into the side of my knee.
    Hear Hear! I sometimes have to jump out of the way!

I think it starts with 'HERE'. When teaching 'HERE' did you ever give the command again with a 'nick' of the collar half way through the return to enforce the command? It's the same concept of giving the Power 'BACK' half way through the retreive. Back.....BACK>nic< .....same as 'Here'......HERE>nic<.......

Worked on my dog. He runs both ways now but has done so since he learned 'here' this way during OB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    I think it starts with 'HERE'. When teaching 'HERE' did you ever give the command again with a 'nick' of the collar half way through the return to enforce the command? It's the same concept of giving the Power 'BACK' half way through the retreive. Back.....BACK>nic< .....same as 'Here'......HERE>nic<.......
    It's deeper than that.

It gets worse, when he's especially full of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Quack View Post
    My 7 month old BLF and I are working on double retrieves right now, but i noticed this on all retrieves. She will go out, pick up the bumper, start running back, but at about 20 feet from me she will walk the rest of the way in. She will not be a HT or FT dog, just a meat dog. Is there any "Quick Fix" for this? Thank You in advance
    If you are just starting/teaching doubles, is your dog looking to where the memory bird is trying to figure out where to go next? Just a thought, could be a confidence thing. Does the dog have the same behavior when returning from a single mark?
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

7 month old pup in this clip mate!
    More issues than you have I suspect?..It didn't hold the bumper well!?..alway's dropping just short of the delivery,and usually ''cigarring'' the thing!, also dropped at the feet on delivery.
    Sorry about the sound ,but it was a windy day, and I was trying to explain to the client
    I used a 3lb Hare dummy,to quickly get that desire to hold!,,,and hold on to?..it also taught the dog to get the balance of holding things in the middle!
    With a little bit of 'get in here' quick, and you get to do it again?...and hey presto!...follow that up with a little bit of ''Monty Pythons'' silly walk/runs, to make the dog come in even faster!....
    Worked for this young pup and handler , all in 1/2 an hour !!?...
    Well , I suppose that's something the handler has to work with now?...For whatever 'programme' they wish to follow...at 7 month old
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KATXtTidy00
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Uh, oh; I think Polmaise just ruined the reputation of British Labs.

I saw several jump on's and at least one face lick.

Poor dog is probably ruined for British style work.

Tell you what Polmaise, you crate that pup up, include L50 for some dog food, ship him here to me, and I'll see if I can't find him an American style hunter to be spoiled by.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

There is plenty over here that are well capable of doing that mate!...without the shipping costs. So we ain't that different after all ?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

I do exactly what you are stating. After reading the other posts, maybe it's not so bad. At least I don't need knee surgery LOL.