RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Slowing down on the return

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  BigKahuna13 
#1 ·
My 7 month old BLF and I are working on double retrieves right now, but i noticed this on all retrieves. She will go out, pick up the bumper, start running back, but at about 20 feet from me she will walk the rest of the way in. She will not be a HT or FT dog, just a meat dog. Is there any "Quick Fix" for this? Thank You in advance

#2 · (Edited)
Make her want to come to you ...bend over at the waist so you aren't as an imposing object...Are you acting like a stone figure when she comes ? Get animated and show some excitement as she is comming....In other words act like a blooming idot ,she just won the national.....Steve S

#4 ·
Hear Hear! I sometimes have to jump out of the way!

I think it starts with 'HERE'. When teaching 'HERE' did you ever give the command again with a 'nick' of the collar half way through the return to enforce the command? It's the same concept of giving the Power 'BACK' half way through the retreive. Back.....BACK>nic< .....same as 'Here'......HERE>nic<.......

Worked on my dog. He runs both ways now but has done so since he learned 'here' this way during OB. :)

#6 ·
If you are just starting/teaching doubles, is your dog looking to where the memory bird is trying to figure out where to go next? Just a thought, could be a confidence thing. Does the dog have the same behavior when returning from a single mark?

#7 ·
7 month old pup in this clip mate!
More issues than you have I suspect?..It didn't hold the bumper well!?..alway's dropping just short of the delivery,and usually ''cigarring'' the thing!, also dropped at the feet on delivery.
Sorry about the sound ,but it was a windy day, and I was trying to explain to the client:oops:
I used a 3lb Hare dummy,to quickly get that desire to hold!,,,and hold on to?..it also taught the dog to get the balance of holding things in the middle!
With a little bit of 'get in here' quick, and you get to do it again?;)...and hey presto!...follow that up with a little bit of ''Monty Pythons'' silly walk/runs, to make the dog come in even faster!....:D
Worked for this young pup and handler , all in 1/2 an hour !!?...
Well , I suppose that's something the handler has to work with now?...For whatever 'programme' they wish to follow...at 7 month old;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KATXtTidy00

#8 ·
Uh, oh; I think Polmaise just ruined the reputation of British Labs. :(

I saw several jump on's and at least one face lick.

Poor dog is probably ruined for British style work.

Tell you what Polmaise, you crate that pup up, include L50 for some dog food, ship him here to me, and I'll see if I can't find him an American style hunter to be spoiled by. :p :twisted: :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.