The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Any gun nuts here?

Default Any gun nuts here?

I'm assuming yes which is why I'm asking this here. I'm an archery guy, never really been into guns enough to know all the ins and outs. Anyway, a guy posted a pic on an archery forum of his predator hunting rig back in early November. It was an AR platform and freaking nice. I decided then that I was going to build one from the ground up but wait until after the holidays to learn mor about the various parts and to spend the money. So now here we are and everyone that's paying attention knows what a huge mistake I made waiting.
    Anyway my question is this. IF a weapons ban goes through, will that include parts or will one still be able to buy uppers, lowers, or at least individual parts to build one?
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

I don't think anybody knows at this point, but I would say that NOW is the time to buy the bayonet mount and the grenade launcher (quick)!!
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

HPL is right, its a guessing game right now. They are nice guns for preditor hunting and even deer hunting. However now is not the time to buy, in my opinion. Yes, if they ban them you will miss out, but the prices are way to high. I just sold my custom AR for 3x what I built it for. Its crazy right now. You can built just as nice a gun in a bolt action platform, but its still not an AR.

So the interesting part about guns is only the serialized portion is ran through a background check. So the lower reciever minus pistol grip,mag release,trigger etc can be bought alone and the other parts are just accesories down the line that can be sent UPS,USPS,or fed ex to your house. Those other parts are the barrel,upper,stock etc. This is how we build them, buy a few lowers at a time then buy parts when you can afford it and build it.

This is the part that matters.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwCA&dur=2449
    Last edited by Jason Glavich; 01-11-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

As everyone has stated, who knows what is going to happen. At this point finding what you want is going to be difficult. Jason is correct in stating that the serialized lower receiver is what has to be transferred through a FFL to you. All of the other parts can be bought and shipped directly to you. There are brands to stay away from. Not all AR's and their varients are built the same.

I've been a member on a few AR Forums and the best hands down is M4carbine.net! I like to call it the RTF site of AR forums. No nonsense discussions and information on the site. Most of the members are LEO, Military, Special Ops and serious minded covilians. Just about anything you could ask for concerning AR's can be found on that site.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

So if I find a lower now I could "maybe" still build later regardless of legislation? And do I understand that a stripped lower is all we are talking about?
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Correct, many site still have them. I have seen a few going for around 169 for the lower with pistol grip and guts and even a stock, dang good price overall. On a side note I saw a guy who used a 3d printer to make a lower receiver and it worked, of course it wears faster but it worked which is pretty neat overall.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

What sites you finding those at Jason? I am looking for a new lower and can't find any that aren't sky high in price.

I'd like to know those sites also. Stripped lowers can go in that price range. Then of course you have to purchase the rest of the parts. Trigger, safety, mag release, Bolt catch, bolt carrier group, stock, grip etc. Before all of this happened a quality complete lower would go fo about $375 - $500 depending upon componets. Now your lucky to find a stripped lower for $500 and more than likely will pay more if you go to Gunbroker or some other auction site. You can go to any manufacturers site and they are all sold out. Same with the distributers and retailers.

As soon as I find a decently priced stripped lower I'll build my own. Trying to decide the configuration though.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

http://magtacticalsystems.com/about

the lower is at the bottom of the page contact them to order.