The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions Needed

Default Opinions Needed

So we just left our first puppy class. I am torn on going back or not. I am new to training a working retriever and need opinions.

We are working our way through Hillmann and it is going well. Tonight at class everyone is working on sit, so I proceed to work on sit as we have been in Hillmann for the past couple weeks. I am walking away from him and side to side and he is doing great even with all the distractions. Then the class moves on to stay or wait as the instructor calls it. Well ok we will keep working on our sits. At this point the instructor comes over to me and tells me that I dont want to be moving away from him. I explain we are working through a program and the reason for going to the class was socialization and distractions. She replies that what may work at home probably will not work during the class with all the other puppies.

The class then used treats to lure the pups out of a sit and into a "stand". We did not participate in this part either because I did not want him to think its ok to leave sit without being released.

The socialization part was great for him but other than that I am wondering if we should continue going. I am probably overthinking this.

Thanks

You asked for opinion's... If you are happy with the way the Hillman video is going,then stay with it and if you want to go back to the class,get what you and your pup need from it, Bill Hillman is a successful retriever trainer...that has proven results, what is your puppy trainers credentials with finished HT/FT/gundog's/retrievers? ,just my internet opinion.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    You asked for opinion's... If you are happy with the way the Hillman video is going,then stay with it and if you want to go back to the class,get what you and your pup need from it, Bill Hillman is a successful retriever trainer...that has proven results, what is your puppy trainers credentials with finished HT/FT/gundog's/retrievers? ,just my internet opinion.
    X2..........
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

Been there, done that!

"I am training a dog for field work" ..... I have paid my money to attend your class and we are here for socialization. We will gladly participate in whatever OB your class takes part in that works with my "field" training program!

(Edit .... Did not mean for this to sound rude ... all said in a polite way to the instructor of course! Just did not want the OP to give up on the puppy class!)

Keep going with the Hillman program but use the puppy program to YOUR best advantage!!

Last edited by The Snows; 01-11-2013 at 07:19 AM.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

sAME BOAT JUST ENROLLED BY 3 MONTH OLD IN PUPPY KINDERGARDEN. i MAKE NO COMMENTS AND JUST DO IT MY WAY AND STAY OUT OF EVERYONES WAY. ALSO, USING HILLMAN PROGRAM. PLUS I CAN'T STAND THE AMOUNT OF TREATS THEY USE TO GET COMPLIANCE.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Thanks. I am going to go a few minutes early next week and explain to the instructor my plans and how I am only going to do what works for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tpd5 View Post
    Thanks. I am going to go a few minutes early next week and explain to the instructor my plans and how I am only going to do what works for us.
    Good approach, IMIO
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Tpd5 View Post
    I now have a trainer who I've known for 10+yrs, but that's what I did at first too. I show my labs in breed and don't want to overemphasize sit with my puppies so I explained that I want to use the class mostly for socialization/distractions and while I would definitely do most of the exercises in class, I would be breaking them up with the training that I need to do to have a confident show dog. It worked well for me, hopefully it does for you too!

I am going to go a few minutes early next week and explain to the instructor my plans and how I am only going to do what works for us.
    That's a good plan. I did the same thing (talking to the instructor) before the first class. We didn't do "stay", had to find another word for "back" and did not use treats. I avoided displaying any two-sided heeling in the classes.

The instructor was always given an explanation quietly on the side when any "issues" came up. They were just fine with the "arrangement". Those classes were a fun, cold winter diversion.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Ohhhh - I totally understand...we train labs and I take my first Jack Russell to a puppy class...I use certain commands that the instructor didn't like...she quickly realized - I wasn't going to obey her! When they worked on stuff that was against my training...I worked on sit quietly by myself without drawing attention to myself... Keep going...don't fret too much...
    "He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."