The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog box price points

Default Dog box price points

So there seems to be two price points for dog boxes (for a two whole box with some storage). The Diamond Deluxe and similar types which is 700-1200 based on size and features. the next is the Mountain Top/Ainley which seem to be 4000.00 plus (I haven't gotten a quote just guessing based on used boxes I have seen for sale). Is there anything between those that has a bit better quality the the standard diamond plate box. Say around 2000-2500.

I have done the research and have found that Ainley and Deerskin are probably the best quality for an affordable box. I chose Deerskin because of location but Ainley is comparable quality. Also, Ainley and Deerskin will make any needed repairs on each other's boxes. I am picking up a custom Deerskin 2-hole Monday. It's a bit more expensive at $5400 than one of their standard 2-hole boxes but I had some critical dimensions that we had to work around and several other options added. Not sure if Ainley does custom work but if you're not needing custom you could probably find a good deal for a used box on this forum. But I would stick to Ainley or Deerskin IMHO.

Bitter creek makes a nice middle of the road box. Their customer service sucks though.

bitter creek has a trainer model that is in between the higher and lower end boxes. They also have a pro model that is comparable to the ainley and deerskin in looks and price.

Nate......if your gonna be a Bear be a Grizzley and get a MTCK, Ainley or Deerskin (All will do custom work for you)..........it will last for years and years and you won't be disappointed!

Just my 2 cents!

Chris
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)
    Good Idea's The Cutting Edge- "Edge" 9/29/2014 (Grady x Good Idea's Touch of Class)

You could look at North Star Plastics. I have a box from them w/ a fan and louvered doors. Works fine and is lightweight. It is no Ainley though.

If relative lightness and the ease of pulling a box in and out of a truck for random use was a desirable issue, which 2-hole box makes sense? I know the lower cost boxes by Diamond Deluxe would fit this bill, but I'm open to something of higher quality than that. I've spoken to Deerskin, MTCK, and Ainely, but their boxes all basically weigh in the 225-300 lb area and I'd prefer something lighter.
    Last edited by Spring; 01-11-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Duncan View Post
    Bitter creek makes a nice middle of the road box. Their customer service sucks though.

Don't know what your issue with them was, but my experience was the exact opposite. I ordered a box from them last year, it was a size that they no longer offered, but they custom built it for me with several add ons. I was very pleased with the entire process from start to finish. I feel like its the highest quality box, dollar for dollar, on the market.
    HRCH Brady's BlackGold Benelli "Nelli"

Blackgold's Lewd Lady "Kate"

i just saw a nice box on gundogforum from Fineline trailers thats a real nice stainless steel box thats affordable

I bought a used Deerskin last year in super shape and saved about a grand off a new one. It's a 2 hole with fan, water tank, lights and top storage. But you aren't going to load or unload it by yourself, had to use the tractor with front end loader to put it on the truck. I really like it, and looking forward to finding a 3 hole box in the future.
    HRCH UH Night Owl's Black Diamond MH "Homer"(500 Point Club)
    HRCH Iza-Gotsa-Lotsa-Go-Go MH "Streak"