The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Positive only trainers - The mission impossible squirrel - you tube

Default Positive only trainers - The mission impossible squirrel - you tube

Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

SEE! I told you guys!!!

Maybe now you'll stop peeing on your clickers...

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    SEE! I told you guys!!!

When it comes to food I don't believe there is a smarter animal out there than a squirrel...Problem solvers for sure ...I saw this video some time back and was amazed at all it went through to get the food...I'm wondering if the set up was put up all at one time or in sections and the squirrel learned piece by piece...Steve S

SEE! I told you guys!!!

check your pm...thanks ...
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    When it comes to food I don't believe there is a smarter animal out there than a squirrel...Problem solvers for sure ...I saw this video some time back and was amazed at all it went through to get the food...I'm wondering if the set up was put up all at one time or in sections and the squirrel learned piece by piece...Steve S
    Most definitely they trained it in sections, rewarding for small steps first. Not that the squirrel wouldn't have figured it out eventually, but he may have starved in the meantime. He was trucking along pretty fast.

edit: training a sequence of behaviors like that is called "chaining". First teach first obstacle, give treat, then when he reliably and voluntarily gets through first one, add on second one so he has to both before he gets treat, then add third and so on. This works in field training, too!
    Last edited by Jennifer Henion; 01-12-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Most definitely they trained it in sections, rewarding for small steps first. Not that the squirrel wouldn't have figured it out eventually, but he may have starved in the meantime. He was trucking along pretty fast.

edit: training a sequence of behaviors like that is called "chaining". First teach first obstacle, give treat, then when he reliably and voluntarily gets through first one, add on second one so he has to both before he gets treat, then add third and so on. This works in field training, too!

I don't know about that ...I have never seen a squirrel proof bird feeder yet....
    Chaining is the basic principle we use through out the whole training process...Beginning with sit and ending with water blinds....Each action taught should lead to the next...I have always used the picture of an upside down pyramid to illustrate how things fit together...It all starts with one command...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Stuff and nonsense.

You've all got it hopelessly wrong. How many more times do I have to tell you to read the squirrel?

That's a Force trained collar conditioned squiggle if ever I saw one. How many "factors" did it successfully negotiate on the way to the nut? You can't get a squiggle to do that without pressure, lots and lots of pressure. Otherwise he'd just refuse to go, wouldn't he? Training is all about pressure, right? I'll bet just out of camera shot there is a training kit of e-collarette, heeling pencil, and pimple collar.

It's certainly not a British squirrel; it's head is always up, never on the ground, and it didn't use its brains from the initial send out to run straight to the last pole and shin up it. This is a de-cheated squirrel people.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Very good point there Colonel ....I'm still laughing .....Made my day early today ....Thanks Steve S

Great eye Colonel Blimp!

The squirrel must have been put through FTP and the T (and TT?), then. I didn't notice any bugging, popping, flaring, or no goes.

This squirrel should have no trouble with a keyhole blind at 300 yards. I've heard that only collar-trained squirrels can have that skill.

Looks like my daughter's agility training class ...
    Earl Dillow