The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TY pile work and start of mini t

Jay-Bird, these guys have given you some very good advise. It's never fun hearing criticism, even when you ask for it.

If this is your first go-round at training you'll do just fine. I've seen many start way worse and finish with a nice dog.

Besides the mechanics of how to do what, and when to do it. They also mention some very critical smaller points that go unseen by many.

Before "Internet" training and DVDs were around it took me a couple of years to learn these finer points by just watching and doing. A few of these points they mentioned are:

1) Holding your hand STILL and ABOVE the dogs head.

2) The tone and level of your voice.

3) Hand position for handling. Together and in center of your chest.

4) Verbal and silent backs. Each will have a time and place in advanced blind work.

Good luck with your pup!!
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

regardless of you or the dog, i give you props for sticking with it in that environment. we are sissies down here cause most whine when its 30 degrees, or raining, or whatever. But you are getting it done in the harshest of climates. Hats off to you.

We ran marks yesterday wearing shorts and tshirt. lol

Don't do your training on an asphalt or concrete parking lot.
    You are going to tear up your dog, when the ice melts off.

You need turf.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Don't do your training on an asphalt or concrete parking lot.
    You are going to tear up your dog, when the ice melts off.

You need turf.

You find me turf to train in and i will. 3ft of snow everywhere. Im not waiting till april to work my pup.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Bird View Post
    You find me turf to train in and i will. 3ft of snow everywhere.
    Then wait a couple of months.

A little patience, is a good thing.

What everybody else said,but, would like to see a little more snow on parking lot pattern field to prevent injury on whistle stops etc. Also be careful of salt used as they can cause pad burns.
    Living here in the land of Ill/Wisconsin border 8 tenths of a mile off Lake Michigan have trained many a dog under those conditions. Just some input into tossing the bumper way behind you dog turns and looks back when you do that could be a nasty habit down the road with concentration. One of of those Mickey Mouse things that could cause trouble. Might just drop the bumper letting it drop out of your hand behind you. Practice will help with you, just don't let the threesome get you with habits. Threetimes good or bad could be ingrained such as no goes, cast refusals etc. Keep up the good work and be careful on the ice.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    What everybody else said,but, would like to see a little more snow on parking lot pattern field to prevent injury on whistle stops etc. Also be careful of salt used as they can cause pad burns.
    Living here in the land of Ill/Wisconsin border 8 tenths of a mile off Lake Michigan have trained many a dog under those conditions. Just some input into tossing the bumper way behind you dog turns and looks back when you do that could be a nasty habit down the road with concentration. One of of those Mickey Mouse things that could cause trouble. Might just drop the bumper letting it drop out of your hand behind you. Practice will help with you, just don't let the threesome get you with habits. Threetimes good or bad could be ingrained such as no goes, cast refusals etc. Keep up the good work and be careful on the ice.

Him looking behind me was pointed out on another forum also, i went to the home depot and bought a pail for my bumpers. Hopefully this helps.

You need to buy a few more bumpers, so that you don't have to replenish the piles during a session.
    And for Christ's sake, if the dog SEES you throw a bumper to a pile, cast the dog to that pile on the next send.

It's way too soon to be turning the mini-T into a poison bird casting drill.

If you don't know what I'm referring to, start watching the video at 2:47 when the pup sees you throw a bumper to the right over pile.
    And then continue watching, to see what problems that little tiny "error' created.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    You need to buy a few more bumpers, so that you don't have to replenish the piles during a session.
    And for Christ's sake, if the dog SEES you throw a bumper to a pile, cast the dog to that pile on the next send.

It's way too soon to be turning the mini-T into a poison bird casting drill.

If you don't know what I'm referring to, start watching the video at 2:47 when the pup sees you throw a bumper to the right over pile.
    And then continue watching, to see what problems that little tiny "error' created.

Got it, he wanted to go for that bumper...
    I bought the 26 that were for sale in the classifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Bird View Post
    Got it, he wanted to go for that bumper...
    Right.

As he should have.

What you should have done when he saw the throw, was to walk out and receive the dog in a front finish at the cross-over point.
    Then, walk back to the line, and cast the dog to the right over pile.

Even on the times that the dog isn't looking when you throw a bumper to a pile, it can HEAR the bumper hit the ground on that parking lot.
    I can hear it, you can hear it, and the dog can hear it.

It's creating a lot of problems for you, that you don't need in the picture.
    But, all of that pales in comparison to the physical damage that is going to be done to the pup's feet and ligaments running on that surface.

Get the hell off that parking lot!