The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: training with lanse brown

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    You trained his dogs? I know as of just recent he has started to use a Pro but for the most part I could of sworn he did his own training?

I've been invited to train on his Montana property before, but its a haul from Colorado...I also only have so many vacation days...and yes he is quiet the character. I still remember the first time I met him, I had to ask others who he was....he did leave quiet the impression.

Lainee
    yes he has used pros, you have to learn to read between the lines with lanse.

You trained his dogs? I know as of just recent he has started to use a Pro but for the most part I could of sworn he did his own training?

I've been invited to train on his Montana property before, but its a haul from Colorado...I also only have so many vacation days...and yes he is quiet the character. I still remember the first time I met him, I had to ask others who he was....he did leave quiet the impression.

Lainee

Before this gets out of hand...Lanse has and continues to use the Van Engen's to start his pups...he has let Dave Rorem handle Rosa at a National,and uses David as a sounding board and to critique how he is handling Rosa....and Lanse was an original Rex Carr client.....any other claims by individuals claiming to have trained his dogs is a stretch of the truth....There is one person who can claim that without blinking and that is his former wife Dana.....

Lanse is a character, he rubs many people (including his friends/family) the wrong way at various times...in many ways that is part of the allure, he is also the most generous individual with his time and resources...BUT there is no better tactician in the FT game than Lanse..he knows the game, and the game inside of the game..He knows when to gamble if he is behind, and he knows how to play it safe when he is ahead..He is also VERY realistic about his performance at a trial, he knows when his gals have performed worthy of a blue ribbon, and he knows when their performance is only worthy of a JAM..

The best time to talk/listen to Lanse is when he is watching the test being set up, if you are fortunate enough to listen to is advise on how to attack a test and where the pitfalls are within that test, you should take notes....the worst time to talk to Lanse is when he has gone to the truck to get one of the gals ready to run, his concentration is intense and he is singularly focused on the task at hand (which in itself is a great lesson for those looking to be a good handler), he is already playing out the sequence in his mind of how the birds will fall and how he will pick them up
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

and yes he is quiet the character. I still remember the first time I met him, I had to ask others who he was....he did leave quiet the impression.

Lainee
    Lainee, he may be quite but Quiet he is not .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

It sounded awesome.

I spent a day on his Bankes Alabama property training. I think you could spend a month there and never leave the entrance driveway. That awesome. Lance was a wonderful host.

Lainee
    As Bon stated, Lanse has had others do some of his Basics on various dogs. He decided a couple decades ago that Basics weren't his thing, and wisely chose some solid trainers to do that. He and I had been friends for quite some time when he put one with me. But she wasn't in for Basics, though he had often complimented my work in that area.

I think anyone who has been a pro for very long has a favorite dog/owner story or two, and Lanse's dog "Chaos" was mine. I won't go into the whole thing here, but this also illustrates the main reason I've found him to be so easy for me to love. If Lanse does or says something out of line, you don't have to wait for rumors of it to get back to you. He'll openly tell you the whole thing himself; take full responsibility. In this case it was a dog/trainer interaction gone badly wrong. She was a great youngster that he had taken to a very dysfunctional level, and he was as open and honest about it as any human being could be. He asked me if I thought I could help her.

I said, "Lanse, I don't know. But if I take her, I want her for a year. And I don't want to see you until or unless I call you because, as you know, you're the problem. If I have her for a while, and it doesn't look like she's not going to make a comeback I'll send her home. That's the best I can do."

The result, in brief, is that about a year later my home club, KCRC, hosted the PRTA trial on successive weekends. He judged the Open the first weekend, and entered her in the AM the next (not wanting to double stake her the first time back at the game). By that time I had two of his other dogs, one all-age, and the other a Qual dog. The week between the two events was his first time back handling her in training, and we only did simple marks so as to avoid friction. I asked him not to con her, or to do anything he didn't always do to handle his dogs. The trial at which she ran the AM, I had taken 3 of 4 places in the derby and was waiting to hear who did what. Lanse pulled in to the derby (driving Auggie Belmont's old blue van), hopped out with tears streaming down his face. He came over to me and said "She won it! My God, she won it!" For me, that's as good as it gets.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post

If anyone in this sport should write a biography complete with all the tales of times past it would be Lanse. & rest assured it would be a best seller in any venue .
    Isn't that the truth? I talked to him this afternoon. He always has a story or two. It would have been amazing to have been an original Rex Carr client like Lanse was. He loves Van Engen and the entire Van Engen family (sends flowers to Jim's mom) and Dave Rorem. I would have to agree with his ratings on both of those two pros.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Was told to me recently from an old time great that Lanse was one of the last "great dog minds left in the game."

Lanse is the real deal and a genius, I will never forget the training philosophy's he's shared with me....

I don't know about training with him, but the one time I spoke to him on the phone, he discovered I was a hairdresser. Being excited to chat with a dog training stylist, he requested that I bring enough haircolor to match his whole body to his head if I ever made it down to train! Red was the choice...
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

Lanse is fluent in all languages, including three that he only speaks.