RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Inducing Heat?

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Bridget Bodine 
#1 ·
I am looking for some feedback on how this process works. Does this cause the dog to go into heat immediately or in a period of time? Does this usually trigger typical 6 month cycles from there? Any feedback on breeding success if the dog has never had a visible heat cycle and then breeding her on an induced cycle?

Thanks,
Dave

#3 ·
First you need to run a progesterone test to make sure she isn't already coming into heat. Then you use the ovulplant pellet. She will come into heat within 3-5 days. The heat cycle progresses quickly, so you need to be ready to run progesterone tests to target ovulation.

It shouldn't disrupt her normal cycle, so if she usually cycles at 6 months, her next heat after the implant would be 6 months.

Meredith

#4 ·
How old is the bitch? They say if she has not cycled ON HER OWN once , not to induce. But I would have to think that depends on how old she is . I would probably not induce before 2 + yrs old.
That being said, I have induced Olive twice. Once at 3 years old, ( she had 2 seasons naturally ) I used cabergoline that time. It took seven weeks for her to come in and she did not get pregnant. The stud dog had questionable semen , so I am not attributing lack of success to the bitch.
I just brought her back in again, 10 months after the first time. She did not come in on her own so I used an ovuplant. That was awesome . Inserted subcu into vulva day 1 , started spotting day 6, progesterone tested everyday until ovulation, at day 5. Everything DID move in a faster order.
She was bred on Christmas day and other days and now the wait is on. The implant was removed the day of the last breeding.

#6 ·
This time,I have about $600 into procedures and Prog testing so far. Could have been more but my vet did the insert and removal at a REALLY great rate of an office call per procedure.
Last time I think the caberoline was about $50 a week, for 7 weeks. The progesterone testing was about 80 per test X 5 , and then I had some vet costs of about $125 for the bitch. ( I also had stud dog work done).
It is not inexpensive, and you will work to find ovuplants. I bought mine from another breeder.

#10 ·
#12 ·
That is good to hear, I just love litters of 7!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.