The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: breaking when hunting

Default breaking when hunting

My 2 year old lab is starting to break in duck hunting situations. Its his first season. He is 100% reliable in training. He really only breaks if I shoot. Should I correct him with the collar if he breaks? How much stimulation? Do I keep on the collar even if he keeps going? I am worried that to much of a correction will hurt his desire to retrieve in a hunting setting. What do I do?

You can try re-enforcing with little nicks before you stand up and shoot. It works well,,,but it depends how you train whether it works for you or not. So the birds are coming in and you say sit nick --nick,,,low level and see if your response is positive. I do it this way all the time with young dogs and normally they do not break.

Do this in training first before going to the field. Of coarse there is more to it than saying sit-nick -nick but in essence that's all it is. Read dog,, temp the dog,, issue rein forcement,,,blend it together.
    Pete.
    Last edited by Pete; 01-13-2013 at 06:13 PM.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Leave your gun in the truck and work your dog. Let your buddies shoot your limit. Its well worth sacrificing your shooting in your dogs first season for the long-run payoff. I tell every one of my clients this exact thing.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

can you lay down the gun and let your buddies shoot and you work with the dog and then you're free to make whatever applicable corrections are needed without worrying with shooting ducks and handling the dog?

dang. Joe we was t yping at the same time.

Breaking is serious enough that you really do need to fix it like the other guys said......which I know you are trying to do or you wouldn't be talking about it here. I'd restrain the dog either with a hand on his collar and a soft but firm SIT or DOWN or PLACE or whatever command you are using. Another option is a short tether with a quick release hook that you can unhook easily when you are ready to send him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You can try re-enforcing with little nicks before you stand up and shoot. It works well,,,but it depends how you train whether it works for you or not. So the birds are coming in and you say sit nick --nick,,,low level and see if your response is positive. I do it this way all the time with young dogs and normally they do not break.

Do this in training first before going to the field. Of coarse there is more to it than saying sit-nick -nick but in essence that's all it is. Read dog,, temp the dog,, issue rein forcement,,,blend it together.
    Pete.
    What do you do if the dog breaks and by the time you get your gun down he is 15 yards out charging towards a downed duck? If I don't shoot.....he is steady when I am whispering to him to sit, sit sit. It's mostly when I then decide to pick the gun up again.

Are you hunting by yourself or with friends? I think the best thing you can do is have other people shoot while you pay attention to the dog. Look at what you are teaching the dog right now---you say sit, you shoot, the dog doesn't sit stay but instead rewards himself with a retrieve. What does the dog think you really mean when you now say sit? Every time he breaks he is reinforcing the incorrect behavior. I think that the longer this goes on, the bigger the problem you will have in fixing it.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Great info given here. I would hate to see said dog get injured due to a break. Work the pup and don't shoot. Good luck.
    HRCH Johnny's "Tucker" Out Splashin' SH
    SHR Drew's Outback Girl "Bindi"

I have been doing what most have suggested. If I do shoot and he still breaks.......do you do a heavy correction if he is already half way to the bird?