The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: breaking when hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kirkpatrick View Post
    Consider a leash or tie out stake. This will prevent him getting his reward unless you release him.
    I use this every year at the beginning and with young dogs. I don't understand why no one usually wants to do this. Tie them with just enough slack that they give themselves a correction when they bolt! Its amazing how good this works!
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    I use this every year at the beginning and with young dogs. I don't understand why no one usually wants to do this. Tie them with just enough slack that they give themselves a correction when they bolt! Its amazing how good this works!
    That hasn't worked for me,they just learn to come out to right before they get choked but they come out every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    I did this and my two year old ended up making a very nice retrieve with the tie out stake and 6' of chain around his neck. Now all my best ducks spots are in close proximity to a large tree.

With regard to people saying put your gun down and train while hunting, my dog would only break when I shot, never when anyone else shot. Just something to keep in mind, you'll eventually have to teach steadiness in both scenarios. I think this came about because of the solo pheasant hunting we did.
    Last edited by Meleagris1; 01-15-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I did this and my two year old ended up making a very nice retrieve with the tie out stake and 6' of chain around his neck. Now all my best ducks spots are in close proximity to a large tree.

With regard to people saying put your gun down and train while hunting, my dog would only break when I shot, never when anyone else shot. Just something to keep in mind, you'll eventually have to teach steadiness in both scenarios. I think this came about because of the solo pheasant hunting we did.
    Goodness, your lucky he didnt drowned in the water dragging all that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by tejohns3 View Post
    Goodness, your lucky he didnt drowned in the water dragging all that stuff
    That is partly why I brought this up, just to let others know to be careful with stakes when hunting. I was hunting in a shallow, slow moving creek so it was OK, but now I put him in a remote sit and use some paracord and a hitch knot tied to tree.

Thats a pretty good idea i never thought of using paracord

I told myself not to post on any more breaking threads. Maybe I need to be on a four foot stakeout rope five feet from my computer.

"Steady" (link)
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)