The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long is the rope your up and coming pup is dragging....

I have a 30 ft rope......somewhere but havent seen it in about 3 years. I've trained a good number of dogs and never use a rope, dont see the need. Guess I shouldnt say never cuz I have used a rope maybe 3 or 4 times out of probably 100 dogs. With those 3 or 4 it was used for maybe a week at most then put back in storage.

[QUOTE=Rnd;1055305]Mine drug around a 30 footer. I never needed more than that. (When I was younger).

In hind sight I sure could'a used a 40 footer. Seemed when she hit 5 months old I was always about 6 feet behind the end of that damn rope. I'd chase here for 50 yards before she even knew I was there Then she'd turn on the fuel!!!

I think your good with a hundred......

Heart attack regards[/QUOTE

This is the very reason I got a collar as soon as I found out they existed ...The dog could always run faster than me ...Especially bird dogs...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Have dog wear a pinch collar with a short (6" to 8") rope tab clipped to it. .
    after training, at the truck. when I stake out a dog or hunting when I know I want to tie off a dog to a bush or something. I have a few 6-8 footers. For wee little pups on a live bird like in the start on the Lardy Tapes I have one or two lite 30 footers.
    But I get the most done with about 10 inches. I think at times the dog does not know how long the rope is.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    after training, at the truck. when I stake out a dog or hunting when I know I want to tie off a dog to a bush or something. I have a few 6-8 footers. For wee little pups on a live bird like in the start on the Lardy Tapes I have one or two lite 30 footers.
    But I get the most done with about 10 inches. I think at times the dog does not know how long the rope is.
    Here's how to set the length of your training tab. (if you like this idea that is)
    (Some people train with pinch collar and training tab and have soft hold of training tab 100% of the time unless dog is retrieving)

Wear pants your normally train in.
    Have dog sitting perfectly at heel with his collar even with your leg. (Not 5" in front or behind) His front paws will not be in front of your shoes.
    Hold the tabs end between your Index and Middle fingers and tuck your thumb into your pants Pocket.
    In this position there should be a bit of slack but not too much. Adjust your grip and rope length then mark spot to tie knot.

Walk from truck to blind to line holding tab between Index and Middle fingers with thumb in pocket. Teach dog that if he pulls your thumb out of your pocket it is a violation of Heel.
    While on line you won't always have thumb in pocket but you would still hold tab between Index and Middle fingers. Dog pulling tab knot out of your fingers results in can of whoop ass being opened. (this will usually be a violation of Sit)
    Hold tab lightly (no death grip) and do not use it to pull on dog to adjust for here or stuff like that. Only time you would pull on the tab would be Up for a Pinch Collar Correction. Do use tab for subtle communication through small tugs.

If you chose to follow the above us care not to drop tab on dogs back before sending.
    Last edited by Breck; 01-14-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Permatack leads - No rope burns, no moisture absorption, maintenance free

I used a 25' one when training my pup

http://www.permatack.com/permatack_c...ise_cd_003.htm

I train heel,sit, and here at the same time with just a 12ft rope and choke chain as I collar condition. Then i use a 50ft rope on the T. I wouldnt understand why you would want to stretch a puppy out that far to learn here?
    Last edited by tejohns3; 01-14-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    Attachment 10767

Highlighted in red is the problem area.

Breck and a few others make good points. However mine was said in jest. (sorta of)

When working a young pup 3-4 months old a shorter rope works well. (for most anybody)

However, the pup and trainer have a positive correlation as it pertains to age. Example: The pup gets older by weeks, the trainer gets older by years!!!

Most of this doesn't matter much when using dummies and working in the yard. But once again when introducing live birds more rope is better.

When they get that look in their eye......You can't have enough rope.

Attachment 10766

P.S. Hear and Heel not even close at 5-6 months with live/dead birds
    Why would you be retrieving while training basics?

Quote Originally Posted by tejohns3 View Post
    Why would you be retrieving while training basics?
    The most basic thing I want my dogs to do is retrieve.

I don't start any serious OB or yard work until AFTER FF.

My pups are retrieving from the 1st day that I get them.

"Sit, walk on a rope,and chase something" Bill Hillman

They will learn to come to me. But I'm not going to pound it into them at 4-5 months old.

Unlike some trainers these days.......Labradors can walk AND chew gum at the same time.

I get some flak around here for believing the "old skool" trainers knew anything about dogs. With that said James Lamb Free wrote about a concept of "Pyramiding" ie teaching more than one thing at a time.... In 1949
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    The most basic thing I want my dogs to do is retrieve.

I don't start any serious OB or yard work until AFTER FF.

My pups are retrieving from the 1st day that I get them.

"Sit, walk on a rope,and chase something" Bill Hillman

They will learn to come to me. But I'm not going to pound it into them at 4-5 months old.

Unlike some trainers these days.......Labradors can walk AND chew gum at the same time.

I get some flak around here for believing the "old skool" trainers knew anything about dogs. With that said James Lamb Free wrote about a concept of "Pyramiding" ie teaching more than one thing at a time.... In 1949
    Okay I think I get what your sayin now

The true question is how short of a rope does your significant other have on hand???
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH