RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How long is the rope your up and coming pup is dragging....

7K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  archer66 
#1 ·
What length have you found works best for field work until the pup is reliable on come? I'm using a 100 foot 3/8 inch rope and its working out fine....not using that long for any particular reason other than I couldn't bring myself to cut that nice long rope....:razz::razz:.

We're using Smartworks primarily and are good on here unless there's a big distraction like a cat or another dog or a person or a deer or a horse or a well you get the picture. We're working on collar conditioning and are starting heel....sit...heel with a heeling stick. I'm thinking once he's reliable on heel and remote sit and of course here with distractions I'll be able to get rid of the rope.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Mine drug around a 30 footer. I never needed more than that. (When I was younger).

In hind sight I sure could'a used a 40 footer. Seemed when she hit 5 months old I was always about 6 feet behind the end of that damn rope. I'd chase here for 50 yards before she even knew I was there:) Then she'd turn on the fuel!!!

I think your good with a hundred......

Heart attack regards

#4 ·
mine right now is 25' and thinking that the 100' sounds real nice. 16wk old pup and a 45 year old man 25 is just to short.
thanks for the idea

#5 ·
100 foot is a lot of rope and it doesn't come without it's problems especially where there are a lot of trees or other things to get tangled on. But for fairly open areas it's great. Make sure you get one of large enough diameter that it doesn't knot easily. When I move to areas with more cover or water I'll use a shorter rope or no rope at all.

#6 ·
How long is a rope? Heard that question from my pop many times growing up. His point was, no exact answer, and it had nothing to do with dog training.

I like a short rope---25 yarder max. Start with a shorter one. Longer they are, harder the are to real in. Collar is a very nice rope after dog is conditioned.

Good luck.

#8 ·
When I bought my collar for my previous dog my wife asked me why I needed it. I told her I needed it because a half mile of rope just isn't practical.....

Sam is pretty much collar conditioned in terms of HERE. I'll work it in on other commands as he learns them.

#7 · (Edited)
Congrats on your pup! I just started Smart Works as well with my pup, Clay. He is 20 weeks and we are using a 100 footer and have been doing quite well. Almost at the same pace as you as we are gonna start conditioning next week with the collar. Keep us posted on you and your pups progress! Good luck!

#9 ·
If your dog is reliably responding to Here and returning to Heel there is no need for a long ass rope at all.
Have dog wear a pinch collar with a short (6" to 8") rope tab clipped to it. When dog comes close to you take hold of tab as he swings into heel/sit. Dats Dat. Don't let go of tab while dog is on line until you send him.
You should only need a rope 100' long for things like doing swimby or looping around a tree to restrain your dog while forcing on here and stuff like that.
IF, your dog is responding to Here but not coming to Heel yet then a 10' - 15' rope just long enough for you to step on as dog gets close to you would be long enough.

#10 ·
Dog Dog breed Canidae Sporting Group Carnivore
If your dog is reliably responding to Here and returning to Heel there is no need for a long ass rope at all.
Have dog wear a pinch collar with a short (6" to 8") rope tab clipped to it. When the dog comes close to you
take hold of tab as he swings into heel/sit. Dats Dat. Don't let go of tab while dog is on line until you send him.
You should only need a rope 100' long for things like doing swimby or looping around a tree to restrain your dog while forcing on here and stuff like that.
IF, your dog is responding to Here but not coming to Heel yet then a 10' - 15' rope just long enough for you to step on as dog gets close to you would be long enough.
Highlighted in red is the problem area.

Breck and a few others make good points. However mine was said in jest. (sorta of)

When working a young pup 3-4 months old a shorter rope works well. (for most anybody)

However, the pup and trainer have a positive correlation as it pertains to age. Example: The pup gets older by weeks, the trainer gets older by years!!!

Most of this doesn't matter much when using dummies and working in the yard. But once again when introducing live birds more rope is better.

When they get that look in their eye......You can't have enough rope.

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal

P.S. Hear and Heel not even close at 5-6 months with live/dead birds

#11 ·
I have a 30 ft rope......somewhere but havent seen it in about 3 years. I've trained a good number of dogs and never use a rope, dont see the need. Guess I shouldnt say never cuz I have used a rope maybe 3 or 4 times out of probably 100 dogs. With those 3 or 4 it was used for maybe a week at most then put back in storage.

#25 ·
Have not used a long lead for years now. OB pup on 8' lead to walk at heel and understand the pressure of the lead. Then use this lead to CC to here. Done 100's of dogs, 100% success. Of course pups need to wear a e-collar if I expect the here command to be obeyed, until it becomes habit. Really no different than "Sit means Sit", "Here means Here". Initial CC to here takes 2-3 days, several short sessions a day. Pup may test the command a couple times in the field, but that ends quickly. Run all pups on 18" lead to steady, easier for me than holding the collar. Walk all pups to the line on lead. Pups have leads on most of the time, just not a long lead and lead is not used in the field to reel pup in.

#26 ·
Have not used a long lead for years now. OB pup on 8' lead to walk at heel and understand the pressure of the lead. Then use this lead to CC to here. Done 100's of dogs, 100% success. Of course pups need to wear a e-collar if I expect the here command to be obeyed, until it becomes habit. Really no different than "Sit means Sit", "Here means Here". Initial CC to here takes 2-3 days, several short sessions a day. Pup may test the command a couple times in the field, but that ends quickly. Run all pups on 18" lead to steady, easier for me than holding the collar. Walk all pups to the line on lead. Pups have leads on most of the time, just not a long lead and lead is not used in the field to reel pup in.
Ok thanks. Good post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.