The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long is the rope your up and coming pup is dragging....

Mine uses a whip sometimes ... ugh

Why spend weeks or months dragging a pup back on a rope to teach here, when you can CC to here in a couple of days and be done with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy Weigel View Post
    Why spend weeks or months dragging a pup back on a rope to teach here, when you can CC to here in a couple of days and be done with it?
    So you dont use a rope at all?

I'm using a rope because I am following the Smartworks training system. In his system when it comes time to formalize obedience you start out with the dog on a rope AND wearing an e collar.

Quote Originally Posted by tejohns3 View Post
    So you dont use a rope at all?
    Have not used a long lead for years now. OB pup on 8' lead to walk at heel and understand the pressure of the lead. Then use this lead to CC to here. Done 100's of dogs, 100% success. Of course pups need to wear a e-collar if I expect the here command to be obeyed, until it becomes habit. Really no different than "Sit means Sit", "Here means Here". Initial CC to here takes 2-3 days, several short sessions a day. Pup may test the command a couple times in the field, but that ends quickly. Run all pups on 18" lead to steady, easier for me than holding the collar. Walk all pups to the line on lead. Pups have leads on most of the time, just not a long lead and lead is not used in the field to reel pup in.

Have not used a long lead for years now. OB pup on 8' lead to walk at heel and understand the pressure of the lead. Then use this lead to CC to here. Done 100's of dogs, 100% success. Of course pups need to wear a e-collar if I expect the here command to be obeyed, until it becomes habit. Really no different than "Sit means Sit", "Here means Here". Initial CC to here takes 2-3 days, several short sessions a day. Pup may test the command a couple times in the field, but that ends quickly. Run all pups on 18" lead to steady, easier for me than holding the collar. Walk all pups to the line on lead. Pups have leads on most of the time, just not a long lead and lead is not used in the field to reel pup in.
    Ok thanks. Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by archer66 View Post
    I'm using a rope because I am following the Smartworks training system. In his system when it comes time to formalize obedience you start out with the dog on a rope AND wearing an e collar.
    Stick with Evan's system. You are not teaching here with a long lead, you have or will be doing CC to here. Amount of time pup drags a long lead during SmartFetch is 100th the amount of time it is used in here training using only a long lead.

Stick with Evan's system. You are not teaching here with a long lead, you have or will be doing CC to here. Amount of time pup drags a long lead during SmartFetch is 100th the amount of time it is used in here training using only a long lead.
    Gotcha....he's taken to the collar now...haven't needed to reel him in since the day I made this post. I'll be getting rid of the long rope after I'm finished CC....actually could go to a shorter rope now as you mentioned but I like this one.