The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Derby Stake

Default The Derby Stake

Looked at the AKC FT rule book and found little description of the derby or any other stake. Not sure if I was looking at an outdated copy or not. It was a direct link from the AKC web site.

Also did an RTF search that brought up 20 pages worth of threads and none addressed this question.

What is the typical make-up of a derby stake? Won't be able to attend one until the first weekend of Feb., but curious to compare my girl's training level with that required of the Derby.

Typically, how many series are there? 2? 4? And what's the progression of series? Land singles, Land multiples, water singles, water multiples?

And how many multiples? Doubles only or are there triples?

Thanks,
    Jen

Usually 4 series.

Usually doubles on land and water. Can run singles, not sure if trips are allowed.

It has been awhile since I ran one. I'm sure someone will chime with the actual rules, but that would be my expectations.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Derby is usually 4 series, 2 land series and 2 water series, usually doubles. Marks, only. Handling is an automatic disqualiication.

Some (few) derbies have one or more series that is a single. Some change the order, and have water earlier. Some (few) only have 3 series.

I have never seen a triple in a derby, but have heard rumors of it happening. Never seen a retired gun, but have seen some birdboys that are out of sight enroute, and some that are hard enough to see after sitting down, that they are virtually retired.
    -=#David

Well, this started off as a really interesting thread. Too bad we couldn't keep it that way. (Rick_C 2009, Classic RTF)
    __________________________________________________ _
    Take what you get and thank them (the Judges) afterwards no matter what the outcome. (Moira Sheehan)

Typically there are 4 series. 2 doubles on land and 2 doubles on water. There could be a single, but probably not. The marks will typically be AA type marks but just a double. No honors, no blinds.

You can bring your dog to the line on a leash, but once you take it off and signal for the birds the dog must be steady. You can stop the dog if it breaks, have a "controlled break" and still run. Dog must deliver to hand and then you can take it offline on a leash, and no clickers
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

4 series in a derby 2 land 2 water marks are mostly doubles have seen singles but if there's a single most likely it's a really difficult single as far as for marks go expect every thing marks can range from 100yards to 350yard or more
    HRCH UH Duke of Holy Trinity MH "Duke"
    HR Hunter Eric Lingler "Hunter"

If time is tight sometimes the judges will combine two series. For example, they'll have a double set up and you'll run it from one matt, then after completing it you'll go to another matt, facing a different direction where the guns/gunners stations from the first series are not visible and and run a single or double.
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

I have seen one triple in a few years back, mostly doubles. Could have a flyer in first series and could have one in the last. Judges only have to have as many series as it take to find a clear winner. Can bring the dog to the line on lead. Dog need to be able to go to memory bird that the dog looses sight of in route with out going back to an old fall. A handle is a automatic D/Q. I have heard a lot of judges say the like to throw two in, two out, two left and two right? The dog needs to stay in the water, some judges like what is called two down shore. Dog picks up first bird on shore line has to go by that gunner on the way to memory bird down same shore line, with out going back to old fall. Judges have alot of levety to do what they want. Dog can't go back to old fall or be handled.

Good luck
    David Wolfe

Great info! Thank you very much. Think we'll enter this February. Will leave the clicker in the truck, John L.

One more question: while at line, can you quietly tell dog "stay"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Great info! Thank you very much. Think we'll enter this February. Will leave the clicker in the truck, John L.

One more question: while at line, can you quietly tell dog "stay"?
    You can tell the dog whatever you want until you call for the birds. After that, you talking would be roughly considered a controlled break.

not after you signal for the birds. That can be considered a control break. Might do it one series, if you do in the next you are probably done.
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama