The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: The Derby Stake

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    just kidding... If I can manage to make it that far I'll name my dog John-Marvin...

"sit, way out, here, good, sit, here, good, right-there, JOHN-MARVIN". Dog goes out and starts chasing his tail......

Quote Originally Posted by jeff evans View Post
    "sit, way out, here, good, sit, here, good, right-there, JOHN-MARVIN". Dog goes out and starts chasing his tail......

Oooh ooooh ooooh hahahahahaha literally rolling around clutching my stomach laughing so hard I'm crying!!!!! Post of the year!!!!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeff evans View Post
    Probably from all that verbiage on the line... First rule of call name selection...... keep it short .

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 01-17-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    That does not mean all new people are not ready to listen. I think you all experienced members have much to offer and I appreciate that and your words of wisdom. Thanks and keep posting.
    I am not willing to listen to experienced members who give advice only to highlight their personal accomplishments and successes. I would rather learn from others. However there are plenty of experienced trainers that truly care about helping others learning how to be competitive at trials and contributing to the overall well being and sustainability of the sport. Kip gave me some advice at a trial once that I am 100% sure he does not even remember but really helped me as a handler. I think it is very unfair to individuals entering the sport to feel as though running derbies will ruin there dog. This is misleading. There are dogs that can run 20 derbies and there are dogs that can run 2. It is the trainer who makes the decisions not the dog, he'll run as many as you want him to right.... only a liberal democrat dog trainer would suggest banning derbies. Maybe those trainers shoot flyers with slingshots..who knows. Nope I'm sure of it derbies do not ruin dogs, their owners do.

I am also sure most on this board understand that having a competitive AA dog is a tremendous undertaking that takes time, money, and help from others. I tried before for a short period of time and boy did I get burned out. So this go round (derbies this spring) I am going to enjoy the process of starting my contribution to Ted and Kip IF I ever make it to the all age stakes with such a wild animal. Come visit me at the derby. You will have a choice who to hang out with when you get there. The guy laughing at John McCallie's dog cheating the water having a good time enjoying the sport or you can go hang with the experienced guy who looks pissed off might or might not speak to you in person, but don't worry, when you get back on the internet they will gladly share advice.

I always wondered about people saying too many Derbies ruining a dog. Then the same dog is double staked in the Open and the Am. 20 times a year for the next 5 years.

Never heard anyone say that running 10 series at a National would ruin a dog either.

The Derby is the most "fun" phase of the "Field trial experience."
    Last edited by John Lash; 01-19-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

It really depends on the dog. If you have a Steady Eddie, I don't see the problem. Running mine helped her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan McClendon View Post
    You will have a choice who to hang out with when you get there. The guy laughing at John McCallie's dog cheating the water having a good time enjoying the sport or you can go hang with the experienced guy who looks pissed off might or might not speak to you in person, but don't worry, when you get back on the internet they will gladly share advice.

my dogs never "cheat the water"......hell, they avoid it altogether. btw if i didn't hang with folks who are laughing at my dogs i would be lonely.

"the really smart ones get there the fastest way possible, we are training the hunting ability out of our dogs." -Robert Milner......did robert say that of was it me?
    john mccallie

if i look pissed off its just my personlity, didnt mean any harm.

Ok, so this is what I've gathered from this conversation regarding running your pup in the derby:

•Training: Do yourself a favor and get pup through Swim-by, water decheating. Make sure pup can do LOOONG marks and long tricky doubles.

•Maturity or Steadiness: If you have a crazy lunatic who is only steady with an e collar on its neck, may want to work on steadiness and let pup mature before running.

•Readiness: If you have a pup who's steady when flyers are being shot as the first mark of a double and remains steady for the second mark, can run a decent line through land/water combos and is a really good marker at 350 yards - then go and have fun at the derby.

Bonus: If you meet all the above requirements, you can almost immediately enter the next phase of competition when you have aged out of Derby (as long as you've been training for blinds).

Any corrections or additions?

Maintain your standards.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com