The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The Derby Stake

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Ok, so this is what I've gathered from this conversation regarding running your pup in the derby:

•Training: Do yourself a favor and get pup through Swim-by, water decheating. Make sure pup can do LOOONG marks and long tricky doubles.

•Maturity or Steadiness: If you have a crazy lunatic who is only steady with an e collar on its neck, may want to work on steadiness and let pup mature before running.

•Readiness: If you have a pup who's steady when flyers are being shot as the first mark of a double and remains steady for the second mark, can run a decent line through land/water combos and is a really good marker at 350 yards - then go and have fun at the derby.

Bonus: If you meet all the above requirements, you can almost immediately enter the next phase of competition when you have aged out of Derby (as long as you've been training for blinds).

Any corrections or additions?
    That's basically IT , but there will be detours along the way. Something always comes up new & unusual.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    That's basically IT , but there will be detours along the way. Something always comes up new & unusual.
    Cool! Thanks everybody!! This has been a VERY enlightening conversation for me. I finally feel like I have a grasp on what the goals are.

And most of all, savor every precious moment on line of watching your baby dog work, it will fill you with unimaginable pride and joy!

Kathryn
    Never say never . . . never say always . . . know when to say when.

I'll add something. Very few if any judges are going to shoot the flyer first. So not to complicate things don't train on that stuff now.
    More important to run a boat load of singles off of multi guns. Teach dog a long complicated mark as a single then come back and run same mark as memory bird of a double. Find out the things you can do in training to prevent your dog from gun running and back siding guns.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by kip View Post
    if i look pissed off its just my personlity, didnt mean any harm.
    I've seen you laughing at some derby judges before