The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 115

Thread: The Derby Stake

  1. #61
    Senior Member Ted Shih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    4,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minnducker View Post
    Not sure whar Ted is saying. What "bad" things are learned in the Derby?

    1. Poor Line Manners
    2. Poor Line Manners
    3. Poor Line Manners
    4. Poor Line Manners
    5. Poor Line Manners
    6. Poor Line Manners
    7. Poor Line Manners
    8. Poor Line Manners
    9. Poor Line Manners
    10. Poor Line Manners
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

    Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

    www.freeridinretrievers.com

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Amen Ted. My dog learned your 10 lessons in derby REALLY well. Still working hard on correcting those habits 2 years later.

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pontotoc Ms.
    Posts
    497

    Default

    i judged a very tallented dog this fall in the derby, very young, could tell it was becoming unglued. i ran against it a month later and it was out of control.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

    1. Poor Line Manners
    2. Poor Line Manners
    3. Poor Line Manners
    4. Poor Line Manners
    5. Poor Line Manners
    6. Poor Line Manners
    7. Poor Line Manners
    8. Poor Line Manners
    9. Poor Line Manners
    10. Poor Line Manners
    If I could trade the 3 wins and 2 jams Raven got in 6 derbies for a dog that is easier to handle and has better manners on the line at a trial, I would do it. That is the reason that her daughter Peerless will likely not see a derby stake. I could be convinced to run her just before she turns two, but it won't be easy.
    Last edited by Buzz; 01-16-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    I'd guess 75% of field trial judges don't know what a clicker is so, you might be able to get away with using it on the line. The other 25% are deaf so, might be a good gamble.

  6. #66
    Senior Member Breck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Elverson, PA
    Posts
    2,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I'd guess 75% of field trial judges don't know what a clicker is so, you might be able to get away with using it on the line. The other 25% are deaf so, might be a good gamble.
    Handlers have used Clickers in Field Trails for years before Clickers were ever invented.
    Except it's called a pocket full of change.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

    .
    Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie




  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,269

    Default

    Having read the entire post I find it interesting the conflict of opinions . It really boils down to knowing your dog & the level they have attained. Anyone who misses running their dog in the Derby is missing a treat. Aside from consistently poor judging, waiting for the major stake dogs to show, watching the dogs perform is in itself rewarding, & Derby tests go much faster .

    The list is long of those dogs who were & are NC's & NAFC's who were also campaigned in the Derby, in some cases extensively. Probably the most shining example of that would be River Oaks Corky, a true gentleman on the line, who won more than his share of awards . I could go on beyond that but hopefully you get the point.
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  8. #68
    Senior Member Ted Shih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    4,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    The list is long of those dogs who were & are NC's & NAFC's who were also campaigned in the Derby, in some cases extensively. Probably the most shining example of that would be River Oaks Corky, a true gentleman on the line, who won more than his share of awards . I could go on beyond that but hopefully you get the point.

    Any more current examples - say within the past decade?
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

    Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

    www.freeridinretrievers.com

  9. #69
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Handlers have used Clickers in Field Trails for years before Clickers were ever invented.
    Except it's called a pocket full of change.
    I remember Roy McFall jingling his coins often. When I was new to the game I didn't know what was going on, but over the years I really got an education watching him and others when they were on the line. It was fun to watch the dogs too.
    Bill Davis

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

    Any more current examples - say within the past decade?
    Maybe outside the last decade but, Chena River Ripple and Tanks a lot come to mind as being a few highly pointed Derby dogs that turned out decent?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •