The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Training Method is best for YOUR dog?

Default What Training Method is best for YOUR dog?

I am from the south (Louisiana). Eating is one thing we do well. As such, I have learned a thing or two about cooking.
    When I am working on a dish, that I am unfamiliar with, I will always review several recipes by looking them up in cook books or on line.
    Now, I am looking for the recipe’ for this young Boykin I am training. In so doing, I have spent a lot of money on DVD’s and books. Some of you made these DVD’s. I have also asked a lot of questions on this forum and from trainers I can talk to.
    Now, after countless hours of watching videos and reading, I am developing a plan. I am writing it down lest I forget (a real problem I have).
    So the next time I am asked “what program are you using” I can say Gauge’s Program. Some will no doubt be skeptical; some will immediately wash their hands of offering any help.
    Perhaps this decision disqualifies me from being able to ask for advice. I’ve lived with my decisions before.
    You see, the thing is, I can watch a DVD of you training a dog, but you can’t see my dog. Every training method must be adjusted to some degree to meet the dog’s ability and temperament. After all, it is about the dog.
    While I am reading or watching, I am thinking the whole time about Gauge. My mind says “yes, I see where that will help us (Gauge and I)” or “No, that will not work with Gauge because….”. Sometimes I see a procedure and I know right away that with a slight deviation I can use the basic concept.
    Thanks to each of you that had input either here or in your training literature. If I am successful, I’ll owe it to you for paving the way.
    In closing, for you guys that make a profit out of selling your training literature/skills, here is a suggestion for your next book. The Top Ten Training Problems and How to Correct Them. Read the last 100 problems that have shown up on this forum and count the ones that showed up the most often.

I hear Gooser made some DVD's in the 70's. I don't think they was about Dog training though.
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Best thing would do is hook up with a trainer there and get help there. I would get on entry express and look up when the next hunt test or what not is going to happen in your area and do some meeting and greeting.

"Gauge's Program"="Hodgepodge Training" and has been tried over and over with few having great success. It generally results in many holes that may or may not be "patched". Those that are "patched" almost always require large jumps backwards in training that could have been avoided altogether if the training had been done correctly the first time. Most dogs trained this way show massive amounts of confusion which can lead to hesitance, avoidance, and (at worst) aggression.
    Hey but it's your pup...have at it and have fun building that mousetrap.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

It's not so much which program is best for your dog, as it is which program is best for you as a trainer. You're the one who will be trying to convey the information to the dog. Take a closer look and see what seems most logical and clear to you.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

The hodgepodge system was what we started with and I believe it hinderd our training ability due to holes /bad habits from me and my dog (mostly me).You can read all you want but until you spend time with someone that has the knowledge of this type of training standing behind you and training you and your dog it's hard to fully understand the material you have read.

I fully believe now that if there was a better way out there, the people that have spent countless hours training wound have put pen to paper. It's much easier to understand and follow a proven method that it is to make up a swiss cheese recipe and have success. (I dont think it is necessarily easy to follow a program )

As far a top ten problems...in most cases if you follow a good program and a good mentor the problems are a lot less likely to happen ,because of the experience of the trainer ,they have dealt with the problem in the past and created solutions to the problems they have encountered.

Previous hodgepodge trainer regards.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Exactly what kind of problems are you having with your dog if you dont mind sharing?

When I am working on a dish, that I am unfamiliar with, I will always review several recipes by looking them up in cook books or on line

it is good to look at a few then choose and stick with one. Be like putting turnip greens in your jello salad.

My mind says “yes, I see where that will help us (Gauge and I)” or “No, that will not work with Gauge because….”.
    what are some things you see that you are sure your dog will not do, and why?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I think it's hilarious that a "cookbook dog training" post actually started out talking about cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post

it is good to look at a few then choose and stick with one. Be like putting turnip greens in your jello salad.
    That's not nearly as good as your walk-to-the-outhouse analogy.