The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Training Method is best for YOUR dog?

I see absolutely no reason why it wouldn't be a great idea to pull certain components from different training methods. Matter of fact I think I've seen a number of posts here on RTF saying exactly that. When I read the original post I don't see someone who is "hodgepodgeing" or half assing or anything like that. I see a guy who is trying to put together a program using what he considers to be the best components of more than one method for himself and his dog. If a guy truly has a grasp for the reason for each step in these programs then he should be able to cover all of the needs of a successful program by combining. Dog training isn't rocket science, it isn't like there are only 3 ways to train a dog....Smartworks, Lardy, Hillman...(not picking on those just mentioning them because they are the most often mentioned on RTF in my experieince).....and to say that if there was a better way then someone would have already put it on paper is close minded. I can't fathom going through life believing the world is truly flat and there are only a select few ways to train a dog.

Obviously I don't know if the op has any idea what he's getting in to but to simply assume he's messing up by developing his own system isn't fair to the op if ya ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    That's not nearly as good as your walk-to-the-outhouse analogy.

in an earlier post 123 had typed he had just fallen off of a turnip truck.
    I like to try and help using folks own lifestyle in my reply if I can.
    Shirley you have noted that by now?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by archer66 View Post
    I see absolutely no reason why it wouldn't be a great idea to pull certain components from different training methods. Matter of fact I think I've seen a number of posts here on RTF saying exactly that. When I read the original post I don't see someone who is "hodgepodgeing" or half assing or anything like that. I see a guy who is trying to put together a program using what he considers to be the best components of more than one method for himself and his dog.....
    The methods are not important. The objectives are.

If a guy truly has a grasp for the reason for each step in these programs then he should be able to cover all of the needs of a successful program by combining.
    Do you think he does?

Hmm, it takes a lot of years experience to make decisions like 123 is suggesting. I'm not sure that I would want to say I have a better method than Mike Lardy, etc. and I have been at it quite a while. I deviate occassionally because you have to read the dog but they are very minor in the big picture.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    The methods are not important. The objectives are.

Do you think he does?

Objectives is exactly what is important....that was the point I was trying to make when I said as long as a guy understands the reasons for each step in a given program. Expanding on that thought he should then be able to choose components of varying programs or maybe even develop his own component to get to a certain goal in a given stage of training.

I don't know the op so I have NO IDEA if he will be successful. I'm simply arguing against the notion that there are no "new" ways to train a dog.

Hey folks....I could sit here and discuss this stuff with you great folks all day but I'm going outside with my dog to spend 20 minutes working on HEEL...SIT....HEEL and then I'm going bow hunting for deer with my old bear recurve.

Today and tomorrow is it for Missouri's deer season....can't believe it's over already.

Ya'll have a nice day!!

Objectives is exactly what is important....that was the point I was trying to make when I said as long as a guy understands the reasons for each step in a given program.
    Agreed.
    But, it's kinda hard for a first time trainer, to know that stuff isn't it?

....Expanding on that thought he should then be able to choose components of varying programs or maybe even develop his own component to get to a certain goal in a given stage of training.....
    But, he doesn't know the "goal" for each step, or why the steps are where they are.
    It can't be "explained" either.

You gotta go through it a few times, in order to understand the "whys" and be able to tell when you are "done".

I can definitely relate to the OP because it was just a year ago that I was watching every DVD and reading every book out there on dog training to get ready for the arrival of my Boykin Spaniel... I will say that it is extremely important to have a plan and objectives to aim for, but the best advice I could give you is to find a knowledgeable pro that you trust! Even if you don't want to ship your dog off for training, and spend big money, at least find someone you can take a few lessons from, and call when your dog isn't doing exactly what the 2xNAFC demo dog is on the DVD! Use that pro as a mentor and a coach, because as amateurs we have just as much to learn (if not more) than the dog!

Also, don't drink the "Boykin Kool-Aid"... no they are not labs, and yes sometimes they require a little different finesse... but they are still dogs, and you still want the same results, so take them through the same training and don't let them get away with stuff because they are small, soft, and cute... they will exploit it every single time! Haha, a lot of Boykin owners/trainers remind me of homeschoolers... yes we all know your dog is "special" but he also has no friends or social skills! I think if we all raise our standards then in the next decade we are going to see a lot more MH and HRCH Boykin Spaniels, and prove just how incredible these LBD's can be.

The training steps of the popular training programs were not thrown together. They were developed after 1000s of dogs and designed to work with almost all dogs. So it should not be the program that is changed depending on the nature of the dog, but how the program is implemented. I.e. more pressure less pressure, faster pace slower pace, more OB or more excitement. Well you get the picture.

After you've trained a hundred dogs or so then I would feel comfortable making changes to the training progression.

I can't fathom going through life believing the world is truly flat and there are only a select few ways to train a dog. I never said that

Obviously I don't know if the op has any idea what he's getting in to (He doesn't) but to simply assume he's messing up by developing his own system(He is) isn't fair to the op if ya ask me.(I didn't )
    It's apparent that you are in a similar situation as the OP. Nothing wrong at all about being new to all of this, all of us were at some point, but don't be offended when someone that knows better offers up some advise.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."