The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Jan 14 training

  1. #11
    Senior Member copterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I saw lots of improvement.

    Not everyone wants a barnburner on blinds. My Rowdy runs about the same speed as your dog..
    It's not about the speed. It's about the effort.

    For a dog just going from FTP to mini-T, it should be trying a little harder to get to the back pile.
    I think it's got a couple more gears, that it isn't showing.

    That might not be a big deal, except for the fact that the dog is now being stopped, and cast to over piles.
    When you start doing counter-momentum stuff like that, you need to be able bring the dog's momentum back up real quick.

    And I don't get the feeling that the OP can.
    I don't think that he is ready for the step he is moving into.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Jay-Bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The X
    Posts
    152

    Default

    How do you suggest to build speed/momentum to the back pile?

  3. #13
    Senior Member BlaineT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    It's not about the speed. It's about the effort.

    For a dog just going from FTP to mini-T, it should be trying a little harder to get to the back pile.
    I think it's got a couple more gears, that it isn't showing.

    That might not be a big deal, except for the fact that the dog is now being stopped, and cast to over piles.
    When you start doing counter-momentum stuff like that, you need to be able bring the dog's momentum back up real quick.

    And I don't get the feeling that the OP can.
    I don't think that he is ready for the step he is moving into.
    been thinking the same about the dogs lack of momentum since the first video but didn't really feel qualified to say anything. I agree with your post.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Wayne Nutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    4,098

    Default

    I just scanned through the second video. It looked like you were having some issues as you mentioned. So, the only thing I will comment on is the hand signal. You should practice slowing down the back cast. It is up and down in a heartbeat. No so important now with the dog only 10 ft. away but will be in the future. If the dog is at a distance and you give your back cast and the dog happens to glance away. He will miss it altogether. So, slow down and hold you arm up in the air for a bit.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

    HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

  5. #15
    Senior Member copterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Bird View Post
    How do you suggest to build speed/momentum to the back pile?
    That's what FTP is all about.
    Building a compulsion to drive to the back pile.

    It's basically Force Fetch, extended out to a pile.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    278

    Default

    The one thing I think you should take note of and give it consideration are the conditions you're training in. I know how it is to train in the snow and ice living here in Alberta but just remember that snow and ice make it tough to run and tough to stop. That could give you the impression that the momementum is not there or that he is not giving the effort in stopping when it is really a footing issue. Also, the snow, ice, and cold COULD make one of, it not the toughest phases of basics, even tougher and sour his attitude. Notice I said could because my dogs love the snow.

    Why can't we all head south for the winter Regards,

    P.S. I also agree with more remote sends in the beginning

  7. #17
    Senior Member copterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpate View Post
    The one thing I think you should take note of and give it consideration are the conditions you're training in. I know how it is to train in the snow and ice living here in Alberta but just remember that snow and ice make it tough to run and tough to stop. That could give you the impression that the momementum is not there or that he is not giving the effort in stopping when it is really a footing issue.
    That's absolutely true.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Wayne Nutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    4,098

    Default

    I guess I disagree. The dog is showing desire and momentum/speed to the pile in my opinion. He was much improved from the first video.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

    HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

  9. #19
    Senior Member MooseGooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    7,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Bird View Post
    How do you suggest to build speed/momentum to the back pile?
    Keep running FTP and don't goto the next step, before the dog is ready.

    a lot of the advice you have been given can be accomplished just running that back pile.

    the improvements with your remote sit. The"back" command, not using the handover the head yet, but concentrating on a back cast from remote sit and a verbal back.
    then you an teach just the back without the at cast,,, just verball

    Slow down, fix your issues.
    the dogs attitude and desire will get better with time as long as you are careful to mix praise with force.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)


    My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

  10. #20
    Senior Member shawninthesticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    north east mo
    Posts
    1,829

    Default

    I commend you for having the Bolts to put your video's on RTF and keep coming back for the beating, Keep training and dont loose focus!
    Shawn White

    HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •