The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead bird cue...how and when to use it

Default Dead bird cue...how and when to use it

In Jay-Birds thread on FTP he is getting conflicting advice on whether he should be using dead bird. I was wondering what y'all do.

I think I started using it on pattern blinds. When we step up to the mat for cold blinds, I usually cue her after I give the sit command, then I try and line her up for the blind. Sometimes I repeat the cue. I'm trying to figure it out, so I'm wondering...

(Me on first dog.)

To add: I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of introducing it at different points in the training sequence.
    Last edited by mitty; 01-15-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    Renee P

The last three steps (more if the set up allows it) that I take to the mat are towards the blind so that the dog is generally lined up and looking in the right direction, when he sits I cue dead.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk

As long as you are consistent I'm not sure that it matters what words you use, or when. I alert pup to the fact that we're running a blind by saing "dead bird" when he comes to heel at the proper position. I don't say anything but "here" or "heel" until I think he has locked on the right line. I'll say "dead" when he's got it, and "back" to send. If he swings off after the dead command I won't repeat it until he's back in proper alignment. What I'm trying to communicate is 1)what the task at hand is, "dead bird"; 2)when he is in proper alignment, "dead"; and 3) when he's sent "back." In a perfect setup there is no delay between "dead" and "back."
    But that's just me and if you saw our runs this past weekend you would not be inclined to follow my lead.

I start incorporating dead bird at basically the same time as you but instead where you say dead when hes looking in the right spot i say right there
    Last edited by tejohns3; 01-15-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Lardy doesn't use it on FTP or TT. I forget exactly when he starts, either on pattern blinds or cold blinds.

I looked back on some of my videos. I will sometimes use it on FTP or T and sometimes not. It seems to me that I use it when my dog seems to be wondering what's up. I use "good" a lot when he looks at the pile.

I think it is a personal choice. And it doesn't seem to impact the dog negatively in my experience. Like all things you have to read your dog.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

It's a cue.

A cue of what, depends on the association that the dog places it with.

Once the dog is confidently running to a pile, pattern blind, or cold blind, and "knows what's up", that'd be a good time to start using it.

But, if the dog is under lots of pressure in the yard, or just starting a new point in progression, the association that the dog is likely to make with the cue, is not likely to be a "positive" one.

Dropping the hand before sending, is also a cue.
    You aren't "aiming" the dog. You are cuing it, that it is about to be sent.

And again, that should be a "positive" association.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 01-15-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    ...Once the dog is confidently running to a pile, pattern blind, or cold blind, and "knows what's up", that'd be a good to time to start using it......

yes to start adding in then. I like to have it in place in front on training on blinds with marks and/or pattern blinds near, under, back of,,, and so on, marks. 'cause by that time a dog may run a blind, get a mark/marks and run another blind/blinds so the dog needs the cue to be able to go forth and back 'tween the two. It is not needed in simple pile work when KISS is more important.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Dog comes to line, looks in the field, no guns, at that point does the dog need a cue or a clue to tell it that this is a blind?

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Dog comes to line, looks in the field, no guns, at that point does the dog need a cue or a clue to tell it that this is a blind?
    It helps alot, just like when people are standing in the field getting ready to throw a mark, i say mark. This helps e pecialy when you have poison bird where i say mark, the mark is thrown then i say no ,dead bird and line him/ her up on the blind and run it.

Quote Originally Posted by tejohns3 View Post
    It helps alot.
    OK thanks, maybe I'll give it a try