The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Dead bird cue...how and when to use it

Quote Originally Posted by smillerdvm View Post
    Am I to understand from your post that the judges gave directions on how this mark had to be picked up?
    If so is that legal on a mark?
    It was a hunt test, the judges may have presumed some "danger" to the dog such as thin ice or sharp broken off branches down the shore, therefore advised handlers to make sure their dog entered the water in front of the decoys. Seems kind of fishy though, how would they judge the mark if they tell handlers to handle their dog rather than run down a shore and square into the mark from a shorter distance. I hunt fast cold ice water on a northern Montana river and prefer my dogs to run down the bank and get the bird in the shortest quickest method possible.

John

Quote Originally Posted by walt8@cox.net View Post
    That kind of communication and teamwork I can only dream of at this point. I switch sides to disrupt focus on the PB. Your way sounds much smoother, almost delicate.
    I doubt I'll live long enough to do it myself, but I'll keep trying.
    Walt
    You will definitely live long enough, anyone who knows me and my feeble efforts at perfection would never use delicate to describe my efforts but I do try and my dogs, who are much better than me, help to make me look like a much better handler than I am.

I am sorry Dr Ed,,, but Gooser agrees with you!
    They are trying to beat into my head , get on the mat, dog sits, shut up, stand still,
    put your hand down and send. Don't mess with the dog.

If you think about it,It all ties in with JayBirds training videos.
    That pile work is so so so important.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by smillerdvm View Post
    Am I to understand from your post that the judges gave directions on how this mark had to be picked up?
    If so is that legal on a mark?
    Ive had judges tell me there are "alligators " on a point and I needed to handle around it cause if he hit the point he was "eatin" on a HT but im pretty used to that technical junk that some of these judges throw out nowadays but others were not happy...

But as far as it being legal i never heard of anyone getting there money back and i know i certainly didnt!

Quote Originally Posted by tejohns3 View Post
    Ive had judges tell me there are "alligators " on a point and I needed to handle around it cause if he hit the point he was "eatin" on a HT but im pretty used to that technical junk that some of these judges throw out nowadays but others were not happy...
    AKC? HRC? Blind? Mark? Was the line to the blind/mark over the point?
    Last edited by Thomas D; 01-15-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    Tom Dorroh

It was a mark and it was a thin line on the edge of the point if my memory severs me correctly (this was about 5 or 6 years ago)

Quote Originally Posted by tejohns3 View Post
    It was a mark and it was a thin line on the edge of the point if my memory severs me correctly (this was about 5 or 6 years ago)
    So now you are telling us that you had a judge tell you how and where to handle on a MARK, in order to avoid the gators that were lurking around en route to the MARK the judges set up?

I may be new to the rules of dog games, but any gal who grew up on a farm definitely recognizes the smell of BS

Well hopefully that means you can smell it when/ if it happens to you