The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Can I do anything interesting on this land?

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Thanks, and it's Hugh.
    You gotta forgive Eug this faux pas - being a football aficionado, he saw your "Gig 'em Aggies" sig and it put him in mind of one of his all-time favourite Brummies, the Johnny Football of his day, Harry Gilmer.

MG

Oops! Apologies,

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Raegan-

Have you contacted Sue Dorscheid in Rosendale. She'll probably know some places you can train.

As far the the ownership of the golf course, the county property records are a good place to start tracking that info if no one answers the phones. Here's a start...

http://www.fdlco.wi.gov/index.aspx?page=71
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    Oops! Apologies,

Eug
    Hey, not a problem. Probably more Harrys than Hughs even in England.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Senior Member Lucky Number Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RaeganW View Post
    Thanks, the google maps thing is a good tip.

If you ever need help training out here, give me a call.
    My dog is south for the winter and I won't have him back until early May. I belong to Manitowoc County Kennel Club and train with a nice group of amateur trainers there. Works out really well to have a group to train with because you not only get to run your dog in nice setups but also get advice and can see how others handle their dogs. Their website is http://www.mc-kc.com/. Let me know if you need more information. A place that is closer to you most likely is the Wisconsin Amateur grounds just east of Horicon, http://waftc.org/. Getting involved in these types of groups will do wonders, trust me.

1st mark down was a 2 iron dog leg to the left over the bunker, 2nd mark down is a 7 iron slice to left past cart path and the go bird was an in your face chip shot with a wedge with a slight hook that landed in the rough....

Got to hate a breaking test...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by gun_dog2002 View Post
    1st mark down was a 2 iron dog leg to the left over the bunker, 2nd mark down is a 7 iron slice to left past cart path and the go bird was an in your face chip shot with a wedge with a slight hook that landed in the rough....

Got to hate a breaking test...

/paul

par 3.............
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Just a word of caution- think about what kinds of chemicals have run off into those ponds.

That said, I would love to have the use of the land of almost any course I have seen. - Paul
    This needs to be stated again! These chemicals are serious and possibly can cause cancers in your dogs, especially if they drink or swim in the water.

I had to opportunity to use a golf course recently and turned it down because of this. I found that the fertilizers can be quite caustic. And, this is California where the "greenies" won't let us use anything that might even be remotely dangerous to a gnat!

BHB
    Ahhhh, the smell of a bay dog... nothin finer!

One who lives this life without plans for eternity may appear to be wise for the moment but a fool forever.

Our lives are not made by the dreams we dream but by the choices we make.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American
    Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American
    Indian." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by RaeganW View Post
    That's what I get for asking a question with an answer I don't want to hear. Who should I ask permission from? I can go over to the clubhouse, but I don't even know if it's open yet.
    town clerk office, public record map. some towns call it a tax map. Just ask, have the address. They know who owns the property. And they might even be a duck hunter or at least a dog owner. After you do this a while the town clerks in your area know you and will say who do you want to find today? Get to a point every field or marsh you drive past you think, can I train on that?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    If you are training with those big snow drifts present be careful of them and don't send the dog through an area where their feet are punching through. A sometime training partner's dog punched through a snow drift running fast and tore up some ligaments in a front ankle. They wound up having to fuse bones and that was the end of her trialing career. They are worse when it's going through a freeze thaw cycle.

snow drifts suck more than deep mucky muck!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin