RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Can I do anything interesting on this land?

8K views 44 replies 27 participants last post by  2tall 
#1 ·
This is a golf course near my house. Question the first I guess is should I even be training on a golf course? I've thrown fun bumpers here when there was snow on the ground. It's still too cold for any golfers to show up, but I don't know if it's kosher for me to be there or who I should ask.

Dog is a small 4 year old Toller, has obedience, a trained retrieve, and is reasonably steady.

See less See more
#3 ·
You should always ask permission no matter where you go. Don't assume "public" use land is actually open to the public, especially golf courses, as most are actually privately owned. Good rule of thumb is: if you are wanting to use for something other than what the area is intended for, ASK. If you would normally have to pay for entrance, usage, ASK. If it is an area where children routinely play or perform, ASK (and be prepared for a NO, since they are not wanting the kids to have to dodge dog droppings during band, football, or soccer practice/games.).

#6 ·
Definitely ask. I was friends with the Course Pro of the course I used to live on and he said no problem as long as it was very late in the evening or very early in the morning. Basically so I wouldn't interfere with any golfers. If he got a complaint though I was done. No more training on the course. All I did was through bumpers and use the water on the 2 holes closest to me. Never got any complaints so I was fine.

#17 ·
Lol, always nice to have mulligan--don't get many! Good job Scott, that one made me laugh:p

#38 ·
This needs to be stated again! These chemicals are serious and possibly can cause cancers in your dogs, especially if they drink or swim in the water.

I had to opportunity to use a golf course recently and turned it down because of this. I found that the fertilizers can be quite caustic. And, this is California where the "greenies" won't let us use anything that might even be remotely dangerous to a gnat!

BHB

#13 ·
That's what I get for asking a question with an answer I don't want to hear. :) Who should I ask permission from? I can go over to the clubhouse, but I don't even know if it's open yet.

Okay this is land I DO have permission to train on. It's a public dog training area in Kettle Moraine North. I've been there a couple times and I've seen evidence that other people are using it (shotgun shells, tire tracks) but I've never run in to any one.

I'm standing on the edge of the parking lot, facing north. There's about 50% more land behind the farthest hill you can see.

I've run Carol Cassidy's X-drill from Building a Retriever here when I have a helper, and today we did roving singles from Training Retrievers Alone. I'm concerned I'm not helping my dog develop marking skills. Which is why I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should be throwing. Is there a good way to guesstimate distances? Marsh has had a lot more obedience/yard work than field work, since I'm much more competent in that arena.

But at least he's damn steady!

#15 ·
All I can say is ASK.... one of our local golf courses is City owned and in the winter is groomed for X-country skiing and they allow dogs (on leash on trails).... I asked if I could work my dog on the other 9 holes (36 hole course) and they said Yes just pick up after him.

IT is some of the best flat open areas I have access to in the winter other than a frozen lake.

#16 · (Edited)
My dream dog property is a golf course near me. Lots of nice shaped water including some with islands, lots of hills and great cover. Every time i play there i spend more time thinking about marks and blinds i could run.

If I had 30 million or so.....

another course is a block away from my house. It is a city owned course and I see guys playing in the afternoon with their dogs riding in the cart. My neighbor walks his lab on the course every day. I bet I could run blinds in the evening.

Cant hurt to ask. Make sure you explain exactly what you are going to do and that it pretty much just involves your dog running across their grass.

#18 · (Edited)
It's only common courtesy to ask permission; we should always do it.

Most of the areas that I train in that are "public places" are very sympathetic to dog trainers. Many don't want guns and bangy launchers used, but being a nation of dog lovers everybody enjoys seeing the dogs working and having a good time. A lot of passersby, usually utterly uncomprehending of gundogs and what they are all about come over for a nose around and a chat. It's a great opportunity to show shooting sports in a happy and positive light, a point that won't be lost by my chums in the US. If you are going to ask permission to train anywhere it's wise to take a copy of your Public Liability Insurance with you; at the very least it demonstrates you're a responsible type, not some sort of passing idiot. Mine comes with my membership of a hunting and conservation group very roughly analogous to the NRA. Do they do something similar?

Just a final thought on golf courses; some are plagued by rabbits and have members sensitive to shooting gassing and trapping. The Secretary might well be interested to hear from someone who walks the course out of playing hours with a labrador that looks like this one ...

My friend Sean has a quiet arrangement with the Sec of his local club to "exercise" his lurchers. A local course allows a few of us to drift around in the gloaming with an air rifle.:p:p So there are all sorts of opportunities!

Eug

#21 ·
Didn't realize that ya'll could have air rifles. (or is that Ireland?) With all the nonsense going on here at the moment, perhaps you could give us a bit of a primer on how one gets to have possession of a firearm in Jolly Olde.

THanks

#20 · (Edited)
Mike, before The Belfry was a golf course, I shot skeet on what is now the ninth (?) fairway. The Management and Blimp went there on our first date. Scored!

Living Villains are hard to catch right now; the streets are clogging up with dead 'uns lobbing themselves off the back of the Holte End.

Eug

#22 ·
Mike, before The Belfry was a golf course, I shot skeet on what is now the ninth (?) fairway. The Management and Blimp went on their on our first date. Scored!

Living Villains are hard to catch right now; the streets are clogging up with dead 'uns lobbing themselves off the back of the Holte End.

Eug
Oh my, considering the Belfry is the site of the next Ryder Cup I will now watch it with you in mind

#26 ·
With all the nonsense going on here at the moment, perhaps you could give us a bit of a primer on how one gets to have possession of a firearm in Jolly Olde.
Harry, The position is IMO deeply unsatisfactory, but nevertheless not quite as grim as some in the US seem to believe.

To obtain a first shotgun I need to apply for a Shotgun Certificate. This is a somewhat bureaucratic process but once you've done it, it's pretty trouble free thereafter; every subsequent transaction that I make, wether buying or selling is recorded on the Cert, make, serial number, addresses, the lot.

To obtain a first rifle I need to apply for a Firearms Licence. Again a PITA, but once under way no real problem; transactions are recorded as for shotguns.

Air rifles are sold without restriction if they deliver 12 ft lbs or below. Above that limit they are regarded as traditional rifles.

If I want a handgun (other than black powder) I need to join the IRA or the local druggies.;-)

Our hunting laws and customs are by contrast much more generous that those in the US. Hunt with an eight bore, four bore, punt gun ... no problem or restriction. Silencers for shotguns are fine, for rifles you just need to note them on the paperwork. No bag limit, no tagging, five month seasons ...

That's a very short version, so if you or anyone else has any questions, fire away.

EUg

#28 ·
Thanks, and it's Hugh.

HPL

#27 ·
If you are training with those big snow drifts present be careful of them and don't send the dog through an area where their feet are punching through. A sometime training partner's dog punched through a snow drift running fast and tore up some ligaments in a front ankle. They wound up having to fuse bones and that was the end of her trialing career. They are worse when it's going through a freeze thaw cycle.

#40 ·
If you are training with those big snow drifts present be careful of them and don't send the dog through an area where their feet are punching through. A sometime training partner's dog punched through a snow drift running fast and tore up some ligaments in a front ankle. They wound up having to fuse bones and that was the end of her trialing career. They are worse when it's going through a freeze thaw cycle.

snow drifts suck more than deep mucky muck!

#29 ·
I am intrigued by the British Field Trials and some of the terrain and cover our dogs get to pick up birds on. Can spectators go and watch the dogs pick up or is it invitation only?

Are there any places on the internet that the British Trials/hunts are posted? I have checked several times and most of the videos were interviews of the people and showed very little of the dogs working.

I also have some questions about how british trainers use the hunt 'em up whistle.

#34 ·
Hey, not a problem. Probably more Harrys than Hughs even in England.

#33 ·
Raegan-

Have you contacted Sue Dorscheid in Rosendale. She'll probably know some places you can train.

As far the the ownership of the golf course, the county property records are a good place to start tracking that info if no one answers the phones. Here's a start...

http://www.fdlco.wi.gov/index.aspx?page=71

#36 ·
1st mark down was a 2 iron dog leg to the left over the bunker, 2nd mark down is a 7 iron slice to left past cart path and the go bird was an in your face chip shot with a wedge with a slight hook that landed in the rough....

Got to hate a breaking test...

/Paul

#41 ·
At least that golf course isn't in South Carolina! Last year we were there, a guy got his arm bit off reaching for his ball!

#45 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.