The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Curious O/H Qual

Quote Originally Posted by tejohns3 View Post
    I imagine HRC likes to do the same but idk, someone else can chime in with the specifics
    What specifics would there be for HRC?
    Tom Dorroh

If ppl in the hrc likes to go QAA with there dogs like ppl in akc HTs, the reason i said specifics is because i didnt know if there was a specific reason why or why not

tejohns3,

I have never seen a Qual included with an HRC Hunt Test, in this area, anyway. We are in Michigan and it is not common, although more and more of our "HRC People" seem to be dipping a toe in the AKC Hunt Test game and even in Field Trials, so maybe it's coming. From my experience, when an HRC'er gets that HRCH title on their dog, but still wants to do more, they either begin preparing to attempt the Grand Title or working toward 500, 1000, 1500, etc. point clubs which recognize dogs who have earned many passes beyond the HRCH title.

Not speaking for all HRC folks, nor can I be sure of the why or why not. Just saying what I see happening.

Chad
    Chad Miller
    Great Lakes HRC

HRCH UH Northern Flying Dutchman
    High Times Dutchmans Copper Cooper

"Wake me up early, be good to my dogs, and teach my children to pray!"
    - John Anderson, "Black Sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
    tejohns3,

I have never seen a Qual included with an HRC Hunt Test, in this area, anyway.
    I am not sure it is possible--at least it would be difficult under the rules. Under the FT rules, an OHQ needs to be run with at least a companion derby stake, unless it is run in conjunction with a HT that includes a MH Stake. Under the HT rules, an OHQ may be run if the HT includes a MH stake, but at least two test levels must be held.

So, unless the HRC club is able also to run a derby, it could only run an OHQ in conjunction with an AKC MH stake. While I guess a club that runs both HRC and AKC could do it, it would require an HRC HT combined with an OHQ/Derby or an OHQ/MH plus at least one of the other AKC test levels (JH or SH), so it would be a lot of work and easier for a dual club just to do it with their AKC HT>

Yes, that would present a problem. In fact, now that you say that, I seem to recall that there may even be a rule that an HRC test cannot be held in conjunction with other kinds of tests (although, I'm not sure that's true). I do know that every HRC test must include all three levels (Started, Seasoned, and Finished), so adding a Qual (let alone a Qual & a Derby or MH), would really put a lot of stress on the available help!
    Chad Miller
    Great Lakes HRC

HRCH UH Northern Flying Dutchman
    High Times Dutchmans Copper Cooper

"Wake me up early, be good to my dogs, and teach my children to pray!"
    - John Anderson, "Black Sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
    Yes, that would present a problem. In fact, now that you say that, I seem to recall that there may even be a rule that an HRC test cannot be held in conjunction with other kinds of tests (although, I'm not sure that's true). I do know that every HRC test must include all three levels (Started, Seasoned, and Finished), so adding a Qual (let alone a Qual & a Derby or MH), would really put a lot of stress on the available help!
    It would be a fun (but long) weekend. If a club were to put together an HRC Started, Seasoned and Finished combined with a AKC MH, one other AKC and an OHQ, I'd come run. I might even put down my beer, get out of my chair in the shade and go out and toss birds for them between dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I am not sure it is possible--at least it would be difficult under the rules. Under the FT rules, an OHQ needs to be run with at least a companion derby stake, unless it is run in conjunction with a HT that includes a MH Stake. Under the HT rules, an OHQ may be run if the HT includes a MH stake, but at least two test levels must be held.
    The above quote in bold is not true. There is no requirement to in the FT rules to have a FT club run any other stake with a Qualifying or OHQ. It can have a OHQ only trial if it wants. Qualifying placements don't count for titles, so nobody really cares.

Per HT regulations. A club can only run an OHQ in conjunction with a HT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Huntington View Post
    Is there a way on EE, to see upcoming O/H Quals without clicking on each event? Search engine didn't work either.

Just seeing if I'm missing a shortcut....what I did see was not too many O/H Quals listed, primarily Qualifyings.

Thanks for help.
    Quit kicking tires, put on your BIG boy pants and come play. In my honest opinion, the setups or more straight forward in a regular Qual held with a sactioned trial versus a O/H Qual held in conjunction with a Hunt Test.

Instead of fumbeling around EE looking for O/H Quals you should be looking for O/H Amatuers. You're going to take some lumps but you and Colby can be competitive.

See ya soon!

Rich
    Official Launcher of the 2005, 2006,2007,2008,2009 & 2010 HRC Fall & Spring Grand!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunners Up View Post
    Quit kicking tires, put on your BIG boy pants and come play. In my honest opinion, the setups or more straight forward in a regular Qual held with a sactioned trial versus a O/H Qual held in conjunction with a Hunt Test.

Instead of fumbeling around EE looking for O/H Quals you should be looking for O/H Amatuers. You're going to take some lumps but you and Colby can be competitive.

See ya soon!

Rich
    Well Rich. Tell me when we can come over and train for the big boy tests
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

Quote Originally Posted by savage25xtreme View Post
    Sooners HT will have a O/H Qual the friday before.... Hope to see you there Jeff.

I realize it is not finalized, but currently it is not listed as a O/H Q.

Oops; just noticed you said HT I was referring to the FT at the end April, my bad.
    Last edited by DKR; 01-17-2013 at 10:05 AM.