The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can anyone help finding a breeder?

I too like to see photos of dogs standing, yes even field bred Labs, but it is rare to see anything but the show-bred ones photographed that way. You don't have to be looking for a show prospect to want to look at a dog's angulation/leg structure. You pretty much have to see a field bred dog in the flesh to see what its wheels look like, and you can't tell anything about a dog's wheels when it's sitting in the typical pose with or without a duck in its mouth.

Maybe folks in his/her area should also suggest some local retriever clubs to recommend flo12345 attend/join, guessing flo is European and there's quite a difference between their games and ours.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]I too like to see photos of dogs standing, yes even field bred Labs, but it is rare to see anything but the show-bred ones photographed that way. You don't have to be looking for a show prospect to want to look at a dog's angulation/leg structure.
    X2 It would be nice to see these type of pics, particularly the rear end, only thing I can think is it's very hard to get the FT type of lab to stand long enough to take the pic, seems like the only time they're still is in a sit
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    X2 It would be nice to see these type of pics, particularly the rear end, only thing I can think is it's very hard to get the FT type of lab to stand long enough to take the pic, seems like the only time they're still is in a sit
    It's definitely harder to get a nice standing shot of a dog than the standard sitting, ears perked look, not just because a standing dog is halfway to breaking. You have be much more careful the camera doesn't distort or exaggerate the dog, too. Standing shots are much easier to take when you have help, but they can be done. When I mention this to hard core field people, especially Lab owners, they all poo-poo as if it's not necessary. Maybe not, but it's nice to be able to really see how the dog is put together. You can't tell a thing from a sitting dog photo. Below is a photo of one of my Chesapeakes that is hard to pose in a nice standing shot. The dog does not have to be camped out in a show dogs "stance" to see the legs. In this picture since it's taken slightly above her, her front legs look shorter than they actually are, but you can at least see her basic structure, although not perfect, is absent any glaring flaws.

Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Would you say this is an English or an American lab? Show line or FT?
    image.jpg

Looks like a field dog to me- a nice looking one at that.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

I havent read the entire thread ,but it looks as English as bad teeth to me ,big deep chest, short legs and happy to just take a break...and bottom neck meat for day's.. very short front stride ..JMO I bet he shakes handsfor treats..
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Hi Flo - If you haven't found a puppy yet check out my ad in the classifieds - Wood River's Franchise x Kerrybrook's All Jazz'd Up. These should be very good looking pups with a lot of retrieving desire. My email and phone are on the ad- contact me anytime for more info.