The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: California Hunters---season assessment?

Default California Hunters---season assessment?

Been a tough year for many, myself included. Water scattered the birds as most every bypass spilled in the northern valley in December. Most of my hunting buddies are way down on birds, over last year. Thousands of birds sitting in the rice fields and very happy.

Curios how you all are doing. Decent year for me, though the Mallards hardly exist. I have been targeting geese--gotta do what you gotta do-though not my thing. Took the boat out this weekend and scarcely saw a mallard.

Two weeks left--good luck all. Here is a pick from a solo hunt over a handful of decoys in Colusa. I do enjoy eating specks. TASTY BUGGERS

And here is a pick from a friend that hunted Idaho a few weeks ago--TIME TO MOVE!

EDIT---two day hunt four guys
    Last edited by 7pntail; 01-15-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

So-Cal, Private Club out in Wister, was pretty hard work beginning of the season, had to stay in the blind all day to finish . Then it finally froze up north, and the birds came down, just getting better & better seems like we're about a month behind. They were having a hard time on the GOP land, before last weekend.

Ducks; We have seen a lot of widgeon this year, and Mallards which we don't usually see. Less Pin-tail & teal than I'm used to but a few guys shot some Blue-wings last week, we never see those. One guy even got the teal tri-fecta, first for him in 34 years. No red-heads this year, had a bunch last. Sponey's millions of them, I just keep saying I will not shoot Sponey, but then they try to knock you out as they land in the decoys.

Geese; The Snows are down but fewer and on a very different pattern than usual. Canadian honkers, are circulating in the valley in numbers we haven't seen in years. Specs, killed one opening day haven't seen any since.

Survey says, this year is Pretty Strange.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-16-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Upland hunting for quail was really poor. My brother and dad are out today for one of the last trips of the season. No good reports coming in. I hope next season will be better as I'll have my new pup out for his first season.