The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Hunting in a pit blind with dog

You won't go get it yourself where I hunt in La. Rice fields in Ark ain't much better to walk across. And it's not every time just the ones he couldn't mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    I use a dog so I dont have to get out of the pit.

If I had to get out of the pit everytime to send the dog I miles well just leave the dog at home and pick up the bird myself.

Thanks for the replies. I agree that for trial/ hunt test purposes it is best to get out and line the dog. For hunting purposes, when the action is heavy, it's not realistic to get out of the blind everytime. I guess I was hoping for some sort of jaw dropping advice. The best case I guess I can hope for is that he learns the difference between the two. This has been his first real hunting season and its amazing how fast he picked up the ins and outs of hunting. I even had to laugh out laugh out loud when he started dropping the birds at the front of the pit and hurrying back to the dog box to wait on the next group of birds to start working the hole. For me it felt like we were in sync together and getting the job done. In my opinion he was doing what he was bred to do but had this season been a hunt test we wouldn't have any ribbons.

I have to admit if we had not trained for a hunt test standard he would not be half the dog he is today and this season would have been disastrous. Thanks again!
    To quack, or not to quack, that is the question.

SHR Ben Whistlin Dixie

I know what you're saying.

Personally I like to leave those far blinds until late in the hunt or at the end and then get out and send him.

More or less like Cold Blinds, literally

Quote Originally Posted by labman63 View Post
    You won't go get it yourself where I hunt in La. Rice fields in Ark ain't much better to walk across. And it's not every time just the ones he couldn't mark.

That my point. I bring a dog so I can stay in the blind or pit.

Quote Originally Posted by BenHuntin View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I agree that for trial/ hunt test purposes it is best to get out and line the dog. For hunting purposes, when the action is heavy, it's not realistic to get out of the blind everytime. I guess I was hoping for some sort of jaw dropping advice. The best case I guess I can hope for is that he learns the difference between the two. This has been his first real hunting season and its amazing how fast he picked up the ins and outs of hunting. I even had to laugh out laugh out loud when he started dropping the birds at the front of the pit and hurrying back to the dog box to wait on the next group of birds to start working the hole. For me it felt like we were in sync together and getting the job done. In my opinion he was doing what he was bred to do but had this season been a hunt test we wouldn't have any ribbons.

I have to admit if we had not trained for a hunt test standard he would not be half the dog he is today and this season would have been disastrous. Thanks again!
    If he is young he will learn it from expierence.
    You can use your gun to line up the dog too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    Well that all depends on your set up too. If the dog is not right out in front of the blinds I hunt, you can't seem him and he can't see you. To the left and right and rear is all tall grass.
    When I hunt my marsh I hunt in 10 foot frag. I still dont get out of the blind.

When I hunt my marsh I hunt in 10 foot frag. I still dont get out of the blind.
    Can you handle your dog without seeing him? No.

Can you handle your dog without seeing him? No.
    Ummm Yes...

Ummm Yes...
    So when you say over, which direction does he go?

So when you say over, which direction does he go?
    The other way...
    Bill Davis