The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: Duck Hunting in a pit blind with dog

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,004

    Default

    You won't go get it yourself where I hunt in La. Rice fields in Ark ain't much better to walk across. And it's not every time just the ones he couldn't mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    I use a dog so I dont have to get out of the pit.

    If I had to get out of the pit everytime to send the dog I miles well just leave the dog at home and pick up the bird myself.

  2. #12

    Default

    Thanks for the replies. I agree that for trial/ hunt test purposes it is best to get out and line the dog. For hunting purposes, when the action is heavy, it's not realistic to get out of the blind everytime. I guess I was hoping for some sort of jaw dropping advice. The best case I guess I can hope for is that he learns the difference between the two. This has been his first real hunting season and its amazing how fast he picked up the ins and outs of hunting. I even had to laugh out laugh out loud when he started dropping the birds at the front of the pit and hurrying back to the dog box to wait on the next group of birds to start working the hole. For me it felt like we were in sync together and getting the job done. In my opinion he was doing what he was bred to do but had this season been a hunt test we wouldn't have any ribbons.

    I have to admit if we had not trained for a hunt test standard he would not be half the dog he is today and this season would have been disastrous. Thanks again!
    To quack, or not to quack, that is the question.


    SHR Ben Whistlin Dixie

  3. #13
    Senior Member Dustin D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA (Area)
    Posts
    2,079

    Default

    I know what you're saying.

    Personally I like to leave those far blinds until late in the hunt or at the end and then get out and send him.

    More or less like Cold Blinds, literally

  4. #14
    Senior Member j towne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labman63 View Post
    You won't go get it yourself where I hunt in La. Rice fields in Ark ain't much better to walk across. And it's not every time just the ones he couldn't mark.

    That my point. I bring a dog so I can stay in the blind or pit.

  5. #15
    Senior Member j towne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenHuntin View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I agree that for trial/ hunt test purposes it is best to get out and line the dog. For hunting purposes, when the action is heavy, it's not realistic to get out of the blind everytime. I guess I was hoping for some sort of jaw dropping advice. The best case I guess I can hope for is that he learns the difference between the two. This has been his first real hunting season and its amazing how fast he picked up the ins and outs of hunting. I even had to laugh out laugh out loud when he started dropping the birds at the front of the pit and hurrying back to the dog box to wait on the next group of birds to start working the hole. For me it felt like we were in sync together and getting the job done. In my opinion he was doing what he was bred to do but had this season been a hunt test we wouldn't have any ribbons.

    I have to admit if we had not trained for a hunt test standard he would not be half the dog he is today and this season would have been disastrous. Thanks again!
    If he is young he will learn it from expierence.
    You can use your gun to line up the dog too.

  6. #16
    Senior Member j towne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    Well that all depends on your set up too. If the dog is not right out in front of the blinds I hunt, you can't seem him and he can't see you. To the left and right and rear is all tall grass.
    When I hunt my marsh I hunt in 10 foot frag. I still dont get out of the blind.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Dustin D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA (Area)
    Posts
    2,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    When I hunt my marsh I hunt in 10 foot frag. I still dont get out of the blind.
    Can you handle your dog without seeing him? No.

  8. #18
    Senior Member j towne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    Can you handle your dog without seeing him? No.
    Ummm Yes...

  9. #19
    Senior Member Dustin D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA (Area)
    Posts
    2,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    Ummm Yes...
    So when you say over, which direction does he go?

  10. #20
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    So when you say over, which direction does he go?
    The other way...
    Bill Davis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •