The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Duck Hunting in a pit blind with dog

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    I know.. Just being a wiseass.... But thanks for the clarification
    You didn't live in Mo during the 50's did you...? I had a friend named Bill Davis and he was smart too...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Hanigan View Post
    I have noticed that some people like to train while hunting and others do not.
    The truth is that you cannot do anything with your dog without training him. He is going to draw conclusions about his world and how to behave in it whether you like it or not.
    When you send him without giving a line he will be confused and as a result, will pop. Repeat it enough and he will pop every time whether you line him or not. This behavior will frequently get so bad that the dog will not carry any kind of cast more than ten feet or so before popping thus making it impossible to complete a blind retrieve.
    Let him continue to drop the birds on the ground in front of you while hunting and he will do the same at a test or trial. Both of these faults will ensure you will not be called back for the next series.
    The same goes for allowing pup to skirt water and/or cover.
    If you intend to run any kind of structured retriever game you will need to train for it year round and that means especially when hunting.
    Every field experience has a "teachable moment", though the bulk of training should be done prior to the hunt. I do train in the field, mostly cuz there is more opportunity and time with dog there.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

My dog is in a dog blind beside the pit, or in one of the boxes behind and can see marks...... Otherwise wagon wheel drills. I spent some time this fall on slow days doing wagon wheel drills me in the blind dog out of it...... A while on one end with right heel, a while on left side left heel....
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    You didn't live in Mo during the 50's did you...? I had a friend named Bill Davis and he was smart too...Steve S
    HaHa! no... Born and raised in SC, but lived most of my adult life in Alaska... With a five year stop in WA state and the last five years here in TN.
    Bill Davis

HaHa! no... Born and raised in SC, but lived most of my adult life in Alaska... With a five year stop in WA state and the last five years here in TN.
    A little different in Tn than Alaska I would think ...Unless you are down the coast on the southern end...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Here's what I was talking about. This was Teal Season. He's like 8 months old here.

Anyway this is the kind of brush I'm talking about.

same here.
    I know.. Just being a wiseass.... But thanks for the clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    Here's what I was talking about. This was Teal Season. He's like 8 months old here.

Anyway this is the kind of brush I'm talking about.

We used to hunt some stuff along the coastal marshes in SC that would be like that but 6-8 feet high... Heck that looks that high!
    Bill Davis

We used to hunt some stuff along the coastal marshes in SC that would be like that but 6-8 feet high... Heck that looks that high!
    Well you see my point? Once dog is out of the box, unless he's in front of you in the decoys(Small window even still), he can't see you at all and neither you him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    Well you see my point? Once dog is out of the box, unless he's in front of you in the decoys(Small window even still), he can't see you at all and neither you him.
    You had a point?
    Bill Davis