The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Hunting in a pit blind with dog

Default Duck Hunting in a pit blind with dog

How do you line your dog for a blind retrieve when hunting out of a pit blind?

I have been getting him out of the dog box with a "back", then sitting him with the whistle, and casting him to the duck. This works great but my only issue with it is that I am creating a popping expert. He has learned to run out 10 yards and turn around for his next move. This is great when hunting but it's not gonna be so great when we start running our seasoned test.

I understand that we can train away from the habit after season is over but I am hoping to get some advice on a better way to do this and create less problems.

Thanks!
    To quack, or not to quack, that is the question.

SHR Ben Whistlin Dixie

My dog watches what way we shoot so he has a good idea where they fall when he jumps out of the pit. But if it is multiplei birds he will heel next to me on the ground while I'm in the pit and I stick my arm out and point what way to go. I always stand on the end of the pit.

Personally I get out of my pit and run blind retrieves as I would in a test. Just because your hunting doesn't mean you can be training or at the very least maintaining. An inexperienced opinion but thats how I do it.
    www.blackshirtretrievers.com

Matt Johnson and Katie Cook

Thats the way I do as well. Get out,call dog out to me, heel then send.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Suh View Post
    Personally I get out of my pit and run blind retrieves as I would in a test. Just because your hunting doesn't mean you can be training or at the very least maintaining. An inexperienced opinion but thats how I do it.

I do the same thing as above. Also, I put my dog in a dog blind outside the pit (rather than inside) so he doesn't have to run a whole bunch of blinds.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)

I concur, get out and line your dog up.
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    Cherokee Foothills HRC

Quote Originally Posted by Big Suh View Post
    Same thing here from the goose pit. Did have a double on honkers 2 weeks ago where she marked based on the gun direction but I normally don't count on that.

Marks from the Box.

Blinds from the Levee.

I still have a puppy though so he's not ready for Prime Time yet. I suppose this could change once his handling improves more and more.

I use a dog so I dont have to get out of the pit.

If I had to get out of the pit everytime to send the dog I miles well just leave the dog at home and pick up the bird myself.

Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    I use a dog so I dont have to get out of the pit.

If I had to get out of the pit everytime to send the dog I miles well just leave the dog at home and pick up the bird myself.
    Well that all depends on your set up too. If the dog is not right out in front of the blinds I hunt, you can't seem him and he can't see you. To the left and right and rear is all tall grass.