RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Winter Training in the Desert

6K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Roy Redifer 
#1 ·
Made the trip to Brawley Calif, just south of the Salton Sea to throw marks for Don Remien, yesterday there was a constant 20mph breeze from the north so we ran land marks all day
Must have thrown about 30+ marks and honestly only messed up one throw ,since the trial is this weekend we shot a live flyer and were able to throw triples and quads while Don and his training group handled their dogs
Don has a couple of FC's on his truck and the other young dogs all marked very well on our set ups, it was refreshing to watch some speedy retrieves and some laser pinpoint marking
The sun will be up in the next 30 minutes so we are going to do water work today,gonna be a long day,will try and add pics and commentary as time permits
guns up

#2 ·
If you have ever wondered where the doves migrate to in the winter, one of the spots has to be here in Brawley, they are here by the hundreds at the campground alone and near the cow pens, no ducks or geese , I think they are at the refuge at Wister or the Salton Ses

#5 ·
I wish I was there.
Training on the "FROZEN TUNDRA" sucks!!!!

#6 ·
Now it's getting warm, already down to T shirts and sunscreen, headed to water marks after they get finished running the land blind with a keyhole entry

#7 ·
How are Rocky and Daryl Kellum doing?

#8 ·
That's who these people are , was wondering why they asked where I got my Kenai River hat from

Someone suggested via pm that I ask Don if he uses TRT or SW, I have already been threatened with being banished from the training group

#10 ·
Daryl used to be a fishing guide on the Kenai in the summer.

#12 ·
Well my trip is complete, I just got stopped by the US Border checkpoint outside of Blythe and was asked if I was a migrant farm worker

Are you serious? I showed the agent my 20 dollar manicure and asked if these look like the hands of a migrant farm worker, guess he didn't like my attitude so they searched my car and ran my license, I am probably on some sort of watch list

I knew I should have bought an RTF hat

#21 · (Edited)
Bon, next time take off the sombrero and sarape (sp) and don't say ok Queeks Draw. There is one just north of Niland too.

#25 ·
The Homeland Security checkpoints are within the borders of Calif. They have signs posted with the number of illegals caught & the amount of drugs seized. They take pictures of the license plates & drivers and have a panoply of electronic detection devises pointing at the vehicles in line as well as detection dogs.

#23 ·
Went thru another checkpoint on IH40 but no hassle

Here is the water we used today

Sky Water Horizon Sea Water resources

#29 ·
after getting a good night's sleep here is what I witnessed

Don has some VERY good marking dogs on his truck....

he has at least 6 Shaq dogs from a couple of different litters....Tia is from the Shaq x Flyways Ruby Begonia litter,and that girl can flat out mark (yes I am biased) she will run the Q this weekend..the other Shaq pups were from the Shaq x Madame Britney of Rimrock litter...whoever was questioning whether Shaq pups were slow to mature or any other negatives, I can tell you nothing could be further from the truth

Got to watch Daryl Kellum and Rocky ( Shaq x FC AFC Whitewater Plourdes (Howard's gal)..expect good things out of her

Saw a Cosmo dog named Rudy , just a big good looking sonofagun....not your stereo typical Cosmo dog, quiet as a mouse,large lovable dude...probably my favorite guy on the truck

and then there was Hottie ( Carbon daughter)...I remember throwing marks for her when she was a derby dog and now she is a FC...love that Carbon line of dogs

of course there is Tucker ( FC AFC Wood River's Duck Tucker)...I expect him to be in the mix on Sundays this spring

also Mrs Martin's dog Kid (Hilltop Hayseed son) completed his FC last season and is no longer a kid

Good Luck to Team Rising Sun Retrievers and all the amateurs that came out and will run their dogs this weekend....I expect/hope all of you are in silver this weekend

looking forward to going back in the upcoming weeks . but may choose a different route

#30 ·
Hi Bon. Sorry but I thought it was your brother Clint responding to me in another post. My apologies. I'll call you in the next couple days. I've been training with Mel M and Pattie K. I saw Don the other day when he came by to pick up flyers and we ran into each other at the Von's in Brawley. Both of us were cleaned up and without sun glasses. Barely recognized each other. Anyway, I gotta head back to AK at the end of the month but will be back down in March.

#31 ·
Roy, Did you get to see any of Patti's young dogs run? Glacier? Love that Haylee dog. Derrick got a great one.

Say hi to all.
Thanks,

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.