The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dog food and ages

Default dog food and ages

At what age would you all switch from puppy food to adult? What is your food of choice and why?

2 years. Eukanuba. Proven results, commercial availability.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

what type of Eukanuba?

Large Breed Puppy and then Premium Performance 30/20
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Growing a pup slower using an adult food my choice is Canidae All Life Stage. No need for large breed formulals in my opinion. When you need a higher protein/fat and calorie food you an add some Canidae Grain Free.
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Growing a pup slower using an adult food my choice is Canidae All Life Stage. No need for large breed formulals in my opinion. When you need a higher protein/fat and calorie food you an add some Canidae Grain Free.
    Mike, Growing a puppy slower is certainly a good idea.

I think that is just what Eukanuba is doing with their "Large Breed Puppy Formula" It's rated at 26/14 much lower than adult performance which is 30/20 .

SFKennels, I think Joe gave you solid advice...IMO

P.S. You can also do a search on here. This topic has been debated to death around here.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by SFKennels View Post
    At what age would you all switch from puppy food to adult? What is your food of choice and why?
    When I was feeding Eukanuba I called and asked them the same question. Sorry, I don't remember their answer, but it may be on the manufacturers web sight also.

Joe, do you have any trouble maintaining weight, or energy levels with young dogs in the middle of heavy yard work and the usual field work, with the Euk LB Puppy?

Have my 7 month old on it and he has done well, but was thinking about switching to PP Performance in the next month when this last bag is gone. Thinking the Performance might be better for T work, and overall heavier training coming up this spring?

Can't find Euk 30/20 locally???
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Never had the first issue. I have had some "hard gainers" but none that lost weight on Euk LBP during the rigors of yard work. A word of caution, switching over a young 7 month old pup to a "performance" food before their growth plates are closed IMO is not a good idea. It is true I like my pups a little "skinny" but, I would rather them a little light than heavy putting unnecessary stress on their growing bones and developing joints. I believe the puppy food has everything they need along with a good balance of protein/fat (26/14) to maintain their energy, stamina, and weight during "school days".
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Depends on the lines I guess. I feed all my dogs, at ~12-14 mos and older Canidae ALS, but no way can I grow a puppy slowly / uniformly on it. I tried. The Calcium level of ALS is now (as fed) averaging ~1.8%-- actually too high for a pregnant bitch even!!!! I know they only list 1.2% on the label, but that is the MINIMUM.

I started seeing terrible puppy growth on it when I tried it once w/ a litter. Went back to Euk LBP, and all was wonderful again. Sticking to the old tried and true.

I see no reason to keep a pup on the Euk as long as Joe, but rather until growth plates close or at least pup is thru the fast growth stages. For mine, that's 12-14 mos typically.