The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dog food and ages

Appreciate the reply Joe. I know PPP is sold as an "all life stages", and have heard people having pups on it from birth. I may just stick with the Euk LB Puppy though! Thanks!
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy....feed until 10mos
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

No to HI-jack this why do most of you feed puppy food for 12+ month
    I am only on my second dog in life so forgive me

Senior Member Richard McCullough's Avatar

Mine are fully switched over 13 to 14 months from puppy food. We are feeding right now Purina Pro Plan Select for sensitive skin and stomach, prior we were feeding Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon and Potato.
    Remember Victor, What works with one dog may not be best for your dog/s. Sometimes it take trial and error.

M. Schmidt, for me, be it right or wrong, the switch at 12 months, a good portion of the growing is complete, Yes the dogs are still developing after that but that was what I learned years ago, and still stick by it, and looks like it is still pretty standard.
    Last edited by Richard McCullough; 01-16-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    4XGMPR HRCH Lankas Labs Brandys Maximillion MH "Max"

1.5XGMPR HR Rick's Rooster Smasher of DRL SH "Eli"

GMPR HR Bearpoint's They Call Me The Breeze SH "Breeze"

The New Club; Piedmont Pointing Labrador Club

Hey Rick nice to see you on here.
    The only reason I started this thread was because I was toldthat the high protein level in puppy food could adversely affect the bone andjoint formation. As anyone else heard this or maybe seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McCullough View Post
    Mine are fully switched over 13 to 14 months from puppy food. We are feeding right now Purina Pro Plan Select for sensitive skin and stomach, prior we were feeding Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon and Potato.
    Remember Victor, What works with one dog may not be best for your dog/s. Sometimes it take trial and error.

M. Schmidt, for me, be it right or wrong, the switch at 12 months, a good portion of the growing is complete, Yes the dogs are still developing after that but that was what I learned years ago, and still stick by it, and looks like it is still pretty standard.
    Yes, that 12-14 mos range is when most growth plates are closing so most growth is going to be done by then and the bandaid effect of food is gone.

Senior Member Richard McCullough's Avatar

Victor,
    That is one of the reasons why it is said not to feed adult dog, some even say the all stages to your puppy, That also goes for feeding puppy food not designed for large breeds. Feed the appropriate breed puppy food you will be fine, then switch to a quality adult food that your dog will do well on.
    4XGMPR HRCH Lankas Labs Brandys Maximillion MH "Max"

1.5XGMPR HR Rick's Rooster Smasher of DRL SH "Eli"

GMPR HR Bearpoint's They Call Me The Breeze SH "Breeze"

The New Club; Piedmont Pointing Labrador Club

SFKenneks,
    As you can see their are plenty of opinions. I base my opinon on the fact that I have raised many pups on Canidae since it first came out maybe 20 years ago, and a local guide dog school near Los Angeles, CA does a lot of breeding of Labs, some Goldens, and German Shepherds had been using Canidae All Life Stage 4 meat protein 24/14 food for many years. Breeding a lot of pups during that time they report NO bone growth problems at all while feeding Canidae ALS. Recently they changed food brands due to price increases in Canidae. They now use Pro Plan Shreded Large Breed Puppy chicken & rice until 16 weeks old and then change to the adult shreded chicken/rice. It's working well for them but the kennel staff like the Canidae best. So their is no right answer. It's what ever works best for your pup/dog in the long run. I also use PROZYME digestive enzyme. I wouldn't feed a dog with out it.
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!