The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Military dog question for DarrinGreene and others with military dog experience

Default Military dog question for DarrinGreene and others with military dog experience

In the recent thread about a retired military dog needing a ride it mentioned he was 6 years old.

At six years old a trial dog would be coming into his own and be nearing the peak of his lifetime performance. Is it common for military dogs to retire this early? Can you guess about the age military dogs reach retirement? What would be the usual reasons for retirement?
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

He gets the same retirement package as the rest of the gooberment workers- 3 and out

Going postal regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

I sold one to K2 2 years ago. They told me that dogs are constantly re evaluated after each deployment. It was explained to me that the dogs work much harder than we work them. Think about it, they are out in sometimes extreme heat for more than just a 10 minute burst.
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie

There could be a laundry list of reasons as to why a dog is "retired" at 6 from a military program. I know of some six year old dogs having had 3 deployments already and quite frankly their heart isn't in it anymore. As the military contracts somewhat they will age out dogs sometimes offering them to other agencies or putting them up for adoption. We do have dogs six and older that are still deployable, but for the most part these dogs are being allowed to find a couch and maybe a duck or two for a well earned retirement.

These dogs lead a very physical, stressful life. And while they are given the best of care, the fact remains they face hardships and stresses much the same as the young men and women we send overseas. A trial dog in comparison leads the life of a pampered couch potato Dogs can be retired for health reasons, environmental issues, psychological issues, competency issues or simply plain excess numbers.
    HRCH Wind River's Frisky Whisky SH WCX - Thanx for the memories my friend
    HRCH UH Red Devil's Risky Rascal WCX
    HR Red Devil's Wild Wind River
    SHR Red Devil's Ready Freddie
    SHR Red Devil's Lambeau Leap
    SHR YRP Grand Chien's Chase the Sunset

That information is probably classified and may also be proprietary, so it really shouldn't be discussed outside the confines of the program.

It's safe to assume that those decisions would be made on a case by case basis though. Only stands to reason.

There are a few books out there on the MWD program with more information, if you're curious.
    Darrin Greene

Red Devil gives a great explanation. There is also an adoption program setup for these dogs and they definitely deserve a forever home!!
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Danis View Post
    Red Devil gives a great explanation. There is also an adoption program setup for these dogs and they definitely deserve a forever home!!
    As of mid October '12 no IDD's were being adopted out to the general public.
    Darrin Greene

That was a hoax e-mail, that went viral.

Wouldn't you know it. Military=classified. If I am going to adopt a dog I want some general information on why the washout at the age of six.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH