The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 GRCA National - Wichita Falls, TX

Default 2013 GRCA National - Wichita Falls, TX

I'm a member of the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metro Golden Retriever Club, host for the 2013 GRCA National in Wichita Falls, TX Oct 20-30th.

Our website for the National is up and running: http://2013national.com/index.htm The Judges have been announced and can be seen by clicking "Judges" on the left-hand side of the site. Click on "Schedule of Events" to see all events day by day. Hotel reservations can be made now, too. For those of you just attending the Field Trial or WC/WCX, the closest hotel to the grounds is the Best Western Henrietta. For those of you competing in other events too, the other hotels listed in Wichita Falls are only about 30 minutes away - so an easy drive.

We are selling raffle tickets online and at the National for a spectacular, one-of-a-kind quilt done by Arlene Blouch and Marj Deupree. We had special permission from stain glass artist (and golden breeder) Alison Desmarais to use her stained glass designs in the quilt. You can take a look here: http://2013national.com/raffles.htm It has been appraised at $3,000. I donated it memory of my boy, Scout. Some of you may remember reading about him in this thread : http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...t=scout+fluffy The winning raffle ticket will be drawn at the Field Trial Award Dinner, so that everyone attending the Field Trial can also get a chance to see it in person.

I will be posting more updates as we have them, and you can always post questions here. If I don't know the answer, I will find out for you.

We can't wait to welcome "all y'all" to Texas!

Ann
    2013 Fundraising Chair

no hunt tests

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Cowgirl up, Barb! Tito can do a Qual! You have 9 months to train his cute little SH rear-end!

Thanks for the info Ann.

Hi Barb,

It would be great if we could offer hunt tests, and I admire the clubs that do at a National. But, after having been one of group of people working on this National for the past 2 years, with another 10 months to go, I can tell you that the amount of time and volunteers it takes to offer tracking, agility, rally, obedience, conformation, WC/WCX and a Field Trial, is mind-boggling. And with a Hunt Test, if you get a larger than anticipated entry and have to split stakes you are then looking for another set of judges, marshalls, bird-boys, gunners and volunteers at the last minute, when most clubs are already stretched thin.

Ann
    Ann
    Dallas

"Sawyer" - Merichase Tails of Mark Twain
    "Colt" - C-R Gemini's High Flying Cowboy

LOL Jennifer, we are having an "issue" right now that is keeping us from running Master, let alone a Qual. But you're right, we have 9 months .
    I understand, Ann, but it's very disappointing. It's like at this year's, people loved the dock diving event and kept telling us that we should have done it every day....um yeah, with 2 people running it? No one stepped up to help....and we were there to show our own dogs, not run dock diving every day! So I do totally get it.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    www.GoTeamTito.com

RV Info for people entering WC/WCX and Field Trials:

"RV Parking on or after October 26 (Field Events)
    Guests who are staying in RVs at the MPEC and who are participating in any field event(s) are welcome to remain at MPEC after October 26, 2013. The MPEC is approximately 25-30 minutes from the Field Trial site. However, you must inform Kurt Macauley as to the exact date of your departure, and submit payment at or prior to arrival at the MPEC for an additional $35/night. Please forward this information to Judy or Kurt Macauley, the RV Committee Chairmen, at kurtmacauley@gmail.com

If preferred, guests may move to the Hapgood RV Park in Henrietta, TX if space is available. This small RV park is approximately 10-15 minutes from the Field Trial site. They only have 12 RV spots - all are full hook-up with 30 amp service. It is located on Spur 510 just past Hapgood Park Rd, which is on the way from the Best Western in Henrietta to the trial site. Spots are available on a first-come-first-served basis (reservations not accepted) and is paid on the honor system. You put your check in the box for each night you stay. The numberof spots is very limited, so stake your claim early.

Additional RV parking for the Field events can be found at:
    CoyoteRanch Resort – Approximately 20 minutes from Field Trial Location
    14145 US Highway 287 N
    Wichita Falls,TX, 76310
    (940) 767-6700
    http://coyoteranchresort.com/rv-sites

Wichita Falls RV Park – Approximately 35 minutes from Field Trial Location
    2944 Seymour Highway
    Wichita Falls, TX 76301
    phone:940-723-1532
    info@wichitafallsrvpark.net
    Reservations at the aboveRV parks should be made by each individual.
    Ann
    Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by luvgld View Post
    Hi Barb,

It would be great if we could offer hunt tests, and I admire the clubs that do at a National. But, after having been one of group of people working on this National for the past 2 years, with another 10 months to go, I can tell you that the amount of time and volunteers it takes to offer tracking, agility, rally, obedience, conformation, WC/WCX and a Field Trial, is mind-boggling. And with a Hunt Test, if you get a larger than anticipated entry and have to split stakes you are then looking for another set of judges, marshalls, bird-boys, gunners and volunteers at the last minute, when most clubs are already stretched thin.

Ann

It is too bad there will be no hunt test - it feels like there is a common fear among golden clubs of larger than anticipated entries, but maybe it is time to take a look at what people "want" at the specialty. Perhaps look at running a hunt test the way we do at Master National - with volunteers from those participating. It's a thought...
    Kathy Winch
    www.wildhornkennel.com

Quote Originally Posted by StElmoQn View Post
    It is too bad there will be no hunt test - it feels like there is a common fear among golden clubs of larger than anticipated entries, but maybe it is time to take a look at what people "want" at the specialty. Perhaps look at running a hunt test the way we do at Master National - with volunteers from those participating. It's a thought...
    I don't know where the closest hunt test club is, but since the Specialty typically takes place in the middle of the week, this is a good opportunity for a club to hold an all breed hunt test just prior, just after or on both weekends.

I am curious how many people entered multiple events, including the hunt tests. From the 270+ entries in the hunt tests (not including the field trials), I suspect quite a few.
    To be honest, the lack of hunt tests is one of the deciding factors for me to not go. I do wonder how many others feel the same way.
    He already has a WC and a WCX. He's not ready to run a qual (and may never be!). So there are no field events offered for us. I entered him in 9 events other than hunt tests at the 2012 National. Not that my entries will be missed, but I wonder how many people also would have gone, and entered more events, if there had been hunt tests offered. No real way of knowing.
    I do appreciate how much work is involved, I am just selfishly whining.

Barb Gibson
    with
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by StElmoQn View Post

As the Host Club, we try to be very aware of what people "want" at the National. And that is balanced with what we are required to do by the GRCA and what we can do with the resources that we have, including volunteers.

There will not be a Hunt Test at the 2013 National. However, future host clubs can certainly be contacted with your suggestions. And I know they would appreciate offers to volunteer to make that happen.
    Ann
    Dallas